1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Helicore Hybrid Heavy Tension

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by threetone, Dec 20, 2012.

1. threetone

threetone

Sep 27, 2011
    I'm looking into D'addario Helicore Hybrid 'heavy tension' strings for my carved flatback.

So far the increase in tension from Spiro Weich to Spiro Mittel made a big big difference in the overal sound, volume and feel of my bass.

Does anyone have experience with Helicore Hybrids high tension strings compared to Spiro Mittels?
    Thanks

d

2. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Old topic with no replies but didn't want to start a new one. How is the tension of the Helicore mediums compared to the heavies? I tune my A string to G and use a medium now. Is the tension of the heavy when tuned to G comparable to the medium tuned to A? Is there much volumes difference?

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Usually the tension difference from Light to Medium of from Medium to Heavy is like tuning up the softer string up by a halftone. I don't have experience with Helicores, but with Spiros this is more of less true (the Spiro Stark are a bit heavier than that).
    It is more of less: Solo downtuned -> Weich/Light -> Mittel/Medium -> Stark/Heavy. Each step like tuning up a string by a halftone.