1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Heliocore Solos

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by damonsmith, Jun 22, 2013.

1. damonsmith

damonsmith

I couldn't find a thread for this exact string. I am confirmed Spirocore user. I have also liked Correli's. Spiros have just become so expensive and not as simple to find.
    Right not I prefer Spirocore solos. The bass shop I use was out of them, but had a set of Helicore solos that were given to them, and gave them to me.
    I only needed the D/E, but was curious about a brand new full set and free is great price!

Review after a week of breaking in:
    They are a VERY solid hybrid option - super sweet with the bow, a nice full growl/bloom and crisp pizzicato sound which is surprising. There is less top end, "arco string" means they dampen the harmonics somehow. Pizzicato harmonics are not super great, but that is pretty much my sole complaint so far. They may open up in time. My first two gigs with them will be the next two days so I'll report back.
    They are REALLY nice arco.

For the price and availability Helicores have always been a decent option, I have had Low Bs on my electric uprights that I have never bothered to replace.
    The end verdict: I'd take them off for a free set of Spiro solos, but wouldn't bother to upgrade already having them.

Kind of like the mp3/cd/Lp fidelity couch-test: If I have the mp3 of an album, I won't get out of my arm chair to find and put on the CD, I will however, often get up for the LP.

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS

IME they tend to dull as they break in. Good arco string, not so much pizz. I find that they are pretty good right out of the package, but soon lose their edge and don't have a ton of sustain when they are broken in. They are a useable hybrid string, but I would lean a lot more towards Spiro Solos(for a steel string).

3. damonsmith

damonsmith

I can see them dulling over time, I had a free jazz gig last night, with an MJQ line up - the vibes player, Damon Choice played in the Sun Ra Arkestra.
    I did not use an amp and they cut through quite well, walking was great with them and they projected pizzicato at all dynamics, I never got covered by the drummer and I did some ppp duos with the vibes.
    Arco, they are amazing.
    I also prefer spiro solos, but I am finding these a viable alternative for now, I think they are giving enough different character to make them interesting.

4. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

I've never used the solos, but I've used the helicore orchestral strings in the past and found them to be far superior to most other arco-centric strings (e.g. flexocore, bel canto) for jazz pizz. They have pretty good attack and sustain, as opposed to the lifeless thud of some of the others on the market.

I think they are a good choice for someone who wants a hybrid string, but leaning more towards arco playing and a slightly darker tone.

5. Register to disable this ad