Hello from Austin, Texas

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by chris919zz, Feb 3, 2014.

1. chris919zz

chris919zz

I just purchased my first Bass guitar two weeks ago.

It is a 2008 Fender American Standard Precision.

I am in love with this instrument. I spend about an hour a day practicing. I have an "Acoustic B-10" amplifier I found on Craigslist.

I am taking Bass lessons once a week. My teacher really knows his stuff. Right now I am mostly practicing scales (Fretboard notes) and learning how to pick the strings. Just the basics.

Do you have any good advice for a beginner?
    [​IMG]

2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Your instructor starting you on scales - That is a great place to start. Why? Gets your fingers and ears going to the right places.

Good advice. Do what your instructor tells you to do.

Learn your fretboard. This can be done between lessons from your easy chair.

[​IMG]

Lot of the songs we will be playing right at first will be using a I-IV-V chord progressions, i.e. C-F-G,
    http://www.guitarchordsmagic.com/guitar-song-chords/happy-birthday-guitar-chords.html
    or D, G, A, or any of the other keys. The 1, 4 & 5 chords in the key. Find your 1 (or R chord) on the 3rd string. Where is the 4 & 5? --- Find a C on the 3rd string where is the F and G? Find a D chord root note (the D), where is it's G and A? Yep, piece of cake.

• From any note where is the 2nd of that note? Same string and over two frets.
    • From any note where is the 3rd of that note? Up a string and back one fret. The b3 is right after the 2.
    • From any note where is the 4th of that note? Up a string, same fret.
    • From any note where is the 5th of that note? Up a string and over two frets. Or down a string same fret.
    • From any note where is the 6th of that note? Up two strings and back one fret. Right over the 3.
    • From any note where is the 7th of that note? Up two strings and over one fret. The b7 is just above the 4.
    • From any note where is the 8th of that note? Up two strings and over two frets. Right over the 5.
    Code:
    Major Scale Box. 
    Code:
    G|---2---|-------|---3---|---4---| 1st string
    D|---6---|-------|---7---|---8---|
    A|---3---|---4---|-------|---5---|
    E|-------|---R---|-------|---2---|4th string
    Question:
    Song will use the G scale/key and use a I-IV-V chord progression. Where can you find a G note?
    Where will be the C note?
    Where will be the D note?

Same question; This time for the D scale/key.
    Where can you find a D note for the I tonic?
    Where will be the G note?
    Where will be the A note?

See why I had you find your I tonic on the 3rd string. Yep you run out of strings, if you placed it on the 2nd string..... You could use the 4th string if you like, but, if you do where is your 5? No, you find it.

Ask yourself questions about where the notes are going to be found on your fretboard.

Welcome to the bottom end.

3. chris919zz

chris919zz

Thank you for the information about scales and notes.

4. Tui

Tui

That's awesome Chris, congratulations on it. On a side note; thanks for the info, Malcolm! That might be useful to me as well, for I'm having my first bass class tomorrow. Can't hardly wait!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Welcome! Congratulations and keep on practicing!!