Hello, need an amp for my new bass.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by megaboogie, Jan 15, 2014.

1. megaboogie

megaboogie

Hello, I am new here.:)

I just purchased a sadowsky UV70-5(on the way!), my first serious bass purchase, and wondered what would be a good amp to compliment the bass.

Currently I play a Fender std. jazz thru an old SWR super redhead 2x10 now, I figured the Sad would sound great thru the SWR, but I felt like I wanted something different after playing the same rig for the past 7 years.

I've been kinda interested in the little mark stuffs as they seem to pack a nice volume at light weight.
    Any recommandations? what cool stuffs are out there?
    I mostly play jazz, funk, blues and some modern rock.
    Any inputs will be appreciated, thank you!
  2. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Redheads are already nice amps. Not sure what new micro stuff would have that voicing...maybe SWR's headlite or whatever their micro is called?

Could just chain another 210 cab to your Redhead if you need a bigger rig.
  3. megaboogie

megaboogie

Thank you for your suggestion.
    I usually use a PA so I don't need an extension cab(more stuff to carry too), although it would still be really nice to add one.
    I guess I just want a new sound other than a SWR, just looking to see what's out there that you guys are happy playing with a 5 string.
  4. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Union card-carrying liberal academic musician

What is your budget like?

The micro heads such as the Gallien Krueger MB800, Ampeg PF-800, and Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2 provide terrific power and (except for the Ampeg) weight about 5 lbs. Used under ~$500. A Mesa M6 would kill with that bass, too.

For a cab, I'd get two small light ones. Two 112, two 210, or two 115. GK, Bergantino, Aguilar, Ampeg, Epifani.

Then there are the fEARfuls and ThunderChildren...:eek:
  7. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

No thanks my Fender Jazz soungs way better than good.
  8. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Disclosures:
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    I'd seriously consider the TC ELectronic BG250 combo series. I Have the 115 model, which weighs 35 pounds and has been loud enough for any gig I've played over the past two years -- 5-piece relatively mellow church band; 7-piece relatively loud funk band with horns; 4-piece Brit Invasion band; loud 70s & 80s classic rock band. I have never had toirun volume past noon and it has a first-rate DI. I've also used it outsdie with PA support. They're offering additional models now -- 208, 210, 212. Works great with active and passive basses. I run two active Lakland fivers and passive fours with amp EQ set pretty flat. Built-in tuner and the ability to load TC TonePrint effects.
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    GK MB800 into a Bergantino CN212.
  10. n30g30

n30g30 Supporting Member

i fell in love with the phil jones combos - they sound great, very natural - they are compact in size - they are lightweight
  11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    Fine, but are we in the same thread? :confused:
  12. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

you know wat i mean, right?
  13. megaboogie

megaboogie

I appreciate your feedbacks guys, keep it coming!
    My budget is around $1k.

Please, don't turn this thread into another "fender vs sadowsky", I still love my fender jazz bass too!
  14. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

Another vote for TC Electronic. Depending on your budget, there's something for you in their product range.

I run the RH450 through 2 RS210s, but can do most of my small gigs with the RH450 and one RS210. I play Spectors, and the active electronics still sound warm through the TC amp. If I need grit, I use the TubeTone for slight overdrive.
  15. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Well, a whole lot of stuff sounds different than SWR, so, plenty to choose from.

If you run through PA regularly, I wouldn't be wasting my money on these huge wattage amps and piles of speakers being suggested. The lower power, less expensive versions of those will be plenty. Ampeg pf350 instead of 800 for example, or an old 400RB for GK growl, etc. I'd just look for a good preamp tone you like with a good DI. Nobody needs 1000 watts in cases like that. Then pair it with one speaker cab you like. Doesn't matter if it's a 210, 112, or 115, or one of the newer 2 or 3-way models....just something you like the sound of.

An Ampeg or Gallien-Krueger would be a very different ying to your SWR's yang, also very different from each other. GenzBenz would be more "cleanish", although the Streamliner 600 would give big, fat, "tubey" tone with a pro level DI to feed to the PA.