Hello TB forums

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by VarlotTheHarlot, Dec 12, 2013.

1. VarlotTheHarlot

VarlotTheHarlot

Hello guys

So umm, I'm 24 and from near Portsmouth UK.

Originally I picked up the bass nearly 10 years ago but gave it up for various reasons, now I feel it's time to make a proper return!

I currently own a Stagg BC300VT with recently changed heavy gauge Dean Markley Nikki Sixx SS Helix strings (which I changed myself, first time ever- very proud) and a black Ibanez GSR180 which has been de-fretted by the previous owner, I'm yet to restring it, but reccomendations for flat wounds would be nice!

I'm awaiting delivery of an acoustic ibanez AEB as well which I got bought for Xmas (lucky girl).

I'm taking lessons at the moment, self teaching and in my moments of boredom resorting to Rocksmith :/. I've decided to forget everything I once knew and start again.
    After much use of this site for advice I've decided to finally join up.

I hope you can all offer me some words of wisdom (some of them useful)

I like to play (badly) rock and metal and it's maybe worth mentioning that I'm a lady bassist, well, female bassist :p so I have a small hands disadvantage!

Oh and I got my first practice induced blood blister yesterday!

So that's me, hello.

VTH

2. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

Hello, there are lots of great female bassists. I have always liked Tina Weymouth with the Talking Heads.
    There are great short scale basses that might work well with smaller hands but you may already know that. If you play a Fender style bass a Jazz bass will have a smaller neck than a Precision.
    Welcome and have fun.

3. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

Welcome to TalkBass! Good news. Victor Wooten (if you are no familiar youtube search him) has really small hands and it never stopped him from being amazing on bass.

D'addario Chromes are great flats in my view. They are a bit bright out of the box but they mellow nicelh as you break them in.

4. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

+1, I have always loved her! I always cite her as a master of the use of space.

One of my first bass heroes was Kira Roessler of Black Flag.

5. Register to disable this ad