1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Hello World

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by nyall, Aug 8, 2013.

1. nyall

nyall

I just posted a message asking for help and actually got some answers, it'd be a good idea to introduce myself, too.

At 30 I'm a bit of a grown-up. I toyed a bit with a neighbour's bass - can't recall the model but he said it was pretty entry-level by then although he was part of a band for quite some time - when 16, but at these ages one tries to do so many things... Long story short, bass playing was not a priority for some time. About 5 years ago I ended up buying an electric guitar - don't ask me why, looked like a good idea at the time - and took classes for a year.

By then I bought my first apartment, but needed lots of work to move in from my parent's flat. It actually took almost 9 months, from the initial estimation of 4 months, so I decided to "miss the year" and play a bit during the free time, and wait until next September to continue the classes were I left them. But, the school closed down then.

Other alternatives were too far from me. For the most part I couldn't attend even if I wanted to because of conflicting timetables. So, maybe because of the lack of a routine, playing has been less and less frequent.

But, lack of routine was not the only reason. I have realised that the other powerful reason is that I like bass best. I have "analysed" my all-time favorite songs together with the songs that I like best from those heard for the first time during the last year, and an overwhelming majority have a powerful bass - e.g. "It Bites - Memory of Water" or "RHCP - Wet Sand" as some long-time favs, and "The National - Sea of Love"or "Jonquil - Real Cold" as some recent discoveries.

My little fingers (pinkies?) are slightly bent - don't blame me, was born this way - so that makes playing a little bit more difficult than it is by itself...

If it is of any interest, my preferred brand is Ibanez and I prefer fingertips to picks. I like prog rock and some of its modern varieties (doom for the vast majority, a bit of goth maybe), and lately I have introduced some indie bands, as may be hinted by the songs mentioned above ;-)

That's all for now, I think.

Any advice for a newbie with bent fingers is more than welcome :bassist: