1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Hello!

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by SeanNeedham, Dec 10, 2013.

1. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham

Just thought I'd sign up, and say hello and also thank you as I've been lurking around in the shadows for a while and digesting quite a bit of the information that's about on here.

I'm Sean I live in Barcelona but am originally from England, and (you've probably heard this story a time or three) just getting back in to bass playing after a long break (due to a couple of life altering events, one was losing the hearing and having to learn how to "hear" by other means).

I'm not planning on getting back in to playing too seriously, as when I was younger I used to be in a couple of bands and spent too much time and money on things, but in the last couple of years I've been jamming with a few friends at open mic nights on borrowed basses and just thought it was about time I just got something for myself.

2. BassCliff

BassCliff

Greetings and Salutations!

Welcome to the forum. It will be interesting to learn how you overcome your hearing difficulties and play bass in an ensemble setting. I commend you for your spirit and tenacity. I wish you all the best. Please keep in touch.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

3. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Welcome to TalkBass! Please keep us up to date on how you progress. Very interesting story. I hope it all works out for you.

4. SeanNeedham

SeanNeedham

Thanks both!

Thanks, it is quite a journey, as at the moment the guys I jam with all know my difficulties and whilst I can generally feel the drummer/beat box, the guitarists and if there's someone on keys will mouth the sequence so I can lip read it, and they don't run around like crazies so I can keep an eye on the fretboards and look at where they are.

Also what myself and a friend of mine are developing at the moment, is a little box of electronics based around a tuner type device that will illuminate a different coloured bulb/led (or for flats/sharps two) so I can visualise where the others are at (that's the day job of being a photographer leaking through there), like a in a spectrograph type affair. With that also I'm trying to engineer something that would couple in to the hearing aids to take advantage of the remaining 5% of hearing as well... The last bit is the most challenging part!

Whilst I may not be that good at playing any more, and have a wall that I'll never be able to get over, I'd rather have a kick at trying than sitting around and bemoaning "That before I lost my ears, I used to play in a band..."

5. Register to disable this ad