1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Hello!

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by MajorTom, Dec 16, 2013.

1. MajorTom

MajorTom

Hello! I just joined and wanted to say hello and get the dig on the forum. I would like to start learning how to play the bass guitar and figured this would be a helpful resource. Also, I am looking for a good electric bass for a beginner that is also affordable because money is tight so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for all of the help.

Also, are questions regarding a person's playing "under the influence" considered not appropriate under rule 3?
  2. ancientrocker

ancientrocker supporting member Supporting Member

Hi,

I;m 62 and only a year and a half in to it, so I've some pointers for you. Please, whatever you do take your time. The bass is going to be around your neck for a long time and your hands in motion constantly. Comfort is very important. With the bass around your neck and not holding the bass in any way, does the neck drop lower or does it balance? You want it to balance.

Now about "A cheap bass". My experience taught me that if it is cheap in price it is likely to be cheap in quality. Not always but watch out; you'll spend more in the long run if you get a cheap bass. Save up for something just a little bit better.

Take someone who can guide you with you to the store or where the instrument is so they can look it over.

There are some good basses that don't cost an arm and a leg; so do your homework before you buy.

I hope others will add their advice too.
  3. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Welcome aboard!

Before trying to give you any advice, it would be helpful for us to know a little more about your background and goals. For example, do you have experience with any other musical instruments? Are there particular kinds of music you want to learn to play, or any particularly players you would most wish to emulate? Are you picking up bass just to mess around with as a casual hobby, or do you have higher aspirations? Also, do you have any musician friends with whom you'd be able to play once you start making a little progress?

As for your second question, I can't speak to the official rules, but I know that discussions (arguments) about "playing under the influence" are very common around here. Why do you ask?
  4. Tripple H

Tripple H

Hi Mates ...
    I am new here i like this forum too much i found a set of best and remarkable stuff here i have massive interest in getting information the purpose of joining this forum is to lean more things from this form and share what i know i am confident that my stay here' ll really well. ......