Helm me troubleshoot GK MB212 cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bullitt5135, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Last night at band practice, my GK MB212 Neo (8 ohm) started to distort and emit a burning smell after about 40 minutes of use. My amp is a GK 700RBII with the following settings:

Volume: 11
    Contour: 9
    Presence: 12
    Treble: 9
    Hi-Mid: 12
    Low-Mid: 1
    Bass: 1
    Boost: 12
    Tweeter: 9
    Woofer: 10
    4/5 switch: On (playing 4-string passive Danelectro)
    Tweeter Hi-cut: On
    Woofer Hi-Cut: On

I was running a Boss noise gate, but no other effects. IMO, I wasn't pushing it much at all.

I've had the cabinet for about 14 months, and I use it weekly for band practice and bar gigs gigs (settings stay the same, with the Volume and Woofer settings as high as 12). I've noticed a faint electronic smell coming from it occasionally, but I always thought it was just a "new cab" smell that should go away with time. Last night, it all the sudden just didn't sound right (a little distorted, burpy/farty). I shut it down at the end of the song we were playing, and it was giving off a pretty strong burning smell -- it stunk up the room pretty good. I unplugged the cab and finished band practice with my old Peavey 15 cab. No distortion or smell from the Peavey cab using the same GK amp and settings.

About 18 hours later, I removed the grill and speakers and did a visual inspection. Nothing looks burnt or charred, no loose wires, and nothing looks damaged or out of place. The burnt spell from the day before is pretty much gone. I can't pinpoint where the smell was coming from.

I'm not sure if something is wrong with one of the speakers, or maybe my settings are taxing the cabinet in some way?

2. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

3. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

UPDATE -- I emailed Jason at G-K Customer Service. He responded within the hour (!) saying he suspected the crossover was burning up. After sending him a pic of the crossover, he spotted some subtle discoloration on the board around the resistor. He then asked for my address and promptly shipped me a replacement crossover, which I installed myself in about 2 minutes. Problem solved.

Ive gotta say, that's the most exceptional customer service I can remember. Prompt, pro-active, and spot-on. I love my G-K rig, and would highly recommend considering G-K if you are in the market for new gear.

Sidenote: The original crossover was Made in China, and the new one was Made in USA. I have nothing disparaging to say about Made in China (**** happens), other than if you experience a similar problem with your cab this info might help you pinpoint the issue.

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Well having read the threads title I guess you could say Jason "steered" you in the right direction! :D

Glad you got it sussed out.

5. Register to disable this ad