1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

help /\/\3! am I being stupid here...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by /\/\3phist0, Jul 16, 2013.

Markbass Jeff Berlin VS Epifani UL410 (series 1)

1. Sell the Markbass and buy something else

11 vote(s)
    16.9%
  2. Get the Epifani UL410

21 vote(s)
    32.3%
  3. Get therapy to reduce GAS

33 vote(s)
    50.8%
  1. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Marilynsghost.com Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have a MarkBass Jeff Berlin combo, which i love BUT i now have a GK MB800. and it kills with my LDS 2x8 3way (8ohm)

I have the JB Combo posted on Craigslist for 900.
    I have a trade offer of a CLEAN Epifani UL 410 (series 1 @ 4ohm) for the combo, straight across.

My thought is the GK with the 2x8 makes a nice practice rig (and small venue) easy transport.

The epifani gets much love here, I play a 5 string often.

My quandary is is a straight across trade equal? I know that resale on the Jeff Berlin is a bit higher than the resale on the Epifani but... it will fill the role better than the Jeff Berlin for what i'm looking for now (tone wise) but i just HATE losing cash ya know?

I figure with the B&C neo's in the Epifani it'll have a little of the hair that the Markbass cabs have (which i like)... i'm too damn indecisive... curse this GAS... Push me one way or the other my brethren....

2. Russell L

Russell L

Me, I'd keep the Jeff Berlin. It'll do the small stuff and the big stuff. If you need more, add a NY151 cab to it. Beats carrying a 410 around. Do you need 800w?

3. /\/\3phist0

Media:
    Albums:
    This 410 is only 10 lbs heavier than the combo. @ 5" wider and taller will move a Lot more air than the combo.

The 410 would allow me to bring 2x micro heads to gigs as backup ( I have a mb200 also) to push the 410 which will be as loud as the combo....
    If I keep the combo i'd be using it with the mb800 as a backup head. And it is one driver. so if it were to fail, I'd be out of luck. Gigs not so big to have FOH support yet.

I drive a pickup with a camper shell so space is of little concern on gig night.
    Do I NEED 800 watts.... No but clean headroom is never a bad thing...

I sometimes hitch a ride with guitarist to rehearsals, who drives a Prius. The 2x8 fits much better than the Jeff Berlin with his stuff in there already. Actually the JB doesn't fit.. :(...

4. iualum

iualum

Voted to sell the combo. Also wanted to vote for GAS therapy, but almost ALL uf us need that, don't we :D . I sure know I do :eek: !

The MB800 is a terrific amp. Pick up a used 12/6 or, better yet, a used 15/6 to go with it & don't look back. The 15/6 (3015LF & mid, my fave being the 18Sound 6ND410) will surpass all commercially available 410s for displacement/potential volume. And a 12/6 (3012LF & same mid) will easily beat top-notch 212 performance & get you in the outskirts of a 410.

The 15/6 is the single best performer & also the best value in cabs today, im(very)ho.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. /\/\3phist0

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks guys great thoughts !
    I plan on getting a fEARful next, GAS...:banghead:
    Hey anybody with a 15/6 want a Jeff Berlin? :rolleyes:

7. iualum

iualum

Forgot to add that a straight 115 employing an Eminence 3015 or Faital 15PR400 (both full-range drivers) is an absolutely tremendous box as well. Include a high frequency/tweeter if desired.

8. nicopiano

nicopiano Supporting Member

Therapy is the way to go! (just kidding!)

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The GK MB800 with the UL410 will crush.
    It will end up being a bit scooped feeling, that cab isn't mid-rich.

10. /\/\3phist0

Media:
    Albums:
    So Chef:
    Want to let go of your LDS 4x8 stack?:bag:
    I'll trade you :)

Thanks Chef though really :) have you played the Epi cab yourself? (I used to have and SWR goliath Orig. so i expected a bit o scooping) but the low-end extension i've heard this cab has will be helpful to get the B string a little more help live (4 ohm cab as a stand alone) the MB/JB combo does this well.... BUT @ 300 watts it's a little low on the headroom....
    Adding my LDS cab to the JB's speaker (using it only as a cab)"Worked" but i know is not optimal.
    I "Could" add a NY151 cab to the mix BUT i did NOT like the tweet in it at all-- sounded there was a HUGE gap, and with it off, well it was a bit "dark" :( AND it would CO$$T to add to my rig (s):bawl: and relegate the MB800 to a "practice" rig :( for the time being....
    the LDS opened my eyes to what nice high mids can do to the "cut" without "slice" (OK OK I'll build a fEARFUL next)
    :bassist:

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I gigged a 410UL for several years, yessir.
    I'd be happy to sell you the LDS stuff. You wouldn't want to pay for shipping it; they're heavy.

12. /\/\3phist0

Media:
    Albums:
    Again, thanks Chef!...
    Yeah /\/\3 forgots you're on the other end of the country :rolleyes:
    LDS heavy in more ways than one... Check
    Chef LIKES the Epi and gigged it... Check
    Chef's a bright guy (and cool seems to have similar tonal goals ) Check

Has "Auditioned" s-loads of stuff.. and says he likes the EPI...

Votes on Poll leaning towards doing the trade, CHECK....
    ............ I just need to muster up the intestinal fortitude to "let go" of a previously cherished piece of equipment-

:help::scowl::(:spit::eek:

(which is easily replaced/replicated) for one that should "crush" and is a little more scarce, that would be relatively easy to unload if i don't bond with it......:eyebrow:

13. /\/\3phist0

Media:
    Albums:
    Firstly thanks to this great community for help in making this indecisive man able to make an informed decision and I did make one I just now am heading home with my epifani. Moderators: feel free to close this poll and thread at your earliest convenience again thank you all.

14. /\/\3phist0

Media:
    Albums:
    OK small update , I traded my beloved Mark Bass Jeff Berlin combo for a Epifani UL410 (4ohm Series1) and OMG:eek: with this diminutive little MB800 running full wattage the headroom dynamics and tone is seriously closest to the "tone i have in my head" that I've ever been able to achieve.
    Good things that Ive learned from this effort:
    1) light, loud and toneful are achievable goals and not a "select 2" list.

2) NO Need to subject myself and the audience to an amp "Styled" with Silly 80's Corvette yellow (making me look like a "Lost" member of Stryper)
    [​IMG]

3) Gallien Krueger has come a long ways from the "Brittle Baked in tone" that i remember HATING in the 80's

4) this community is very supportive and helpful....

5) Listen to Chef-:bassist: and Kjung

5) Jeff Berlin is a little "wrong" to hate tweeters, (Right to hate BAD tweeters)
    :rollno::scowl:

6) Good speaker cabs make a good amp sound even better!(and louder)

7) Above makes: Weak Bassist>Great Bass>Great Amp>Great Speakers=Happy Audience, Bassist, and and women's clothes to fall off-- no wait imagination running away with me again.:meh:

15. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    I picked 'get the Epifani UL410' meaning "do the trade". Not the best-constructed poll I've ever seen.

Losing a bit of cash to get exactly what you need with no muss, no fuss, seems like a great deal to me.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups

Right. The "select 2" list is "low, loud and small."

While the yellow is a little intense, I'm all for amp makers getting creative with the looks.

Chef I have to listen to because he's a mod. Ken I'll argue with sometimes ;) But both are very knowledgeable, even if I may or may not share their tastes (less Ken than Chef).

No he's not. Even good tweeters I don't like. Tried it recently with a cab with a great tweet in it, and greatly preferred without.

The cab is the weak link of any rig. A good one makes even the worst bass and amp sound pretty good. A bad one makes even the best bass and amp sound like poopycaca.

The average age of my current audiences makes me wish for that not to happen ;)

17. /\/\3phist0

Media:
    Albums:
    Look at my profile pic jimmy. That's my fiance. The women in the crowd often come near that caliber... :) oh and she's a killer singer... I'm soooo lucky:)

18. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Pretty divided on tweeters, you either like them for the added flavor they provide or you don't. I use mine.

19. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    That UL1 410 is ~54 lbs. The Jeff Berlin combo is ~48. The GK mb800 is about 3 lbs and has a volume control. :ninja:

20. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Yeah that extra 7lbs would be a real back breaker :rolleyes: :cool:

21. /\/\3phist0

Media:
    Albums:
    I also have:
    LDS 2x8 (8 ohm 400 watt) 96db sensitivity (small n purty, great hifi tone surprisingly deep)
    Hartke Hydrive 112 (4 or 8 ohms 300 watt) 98db Sensitivity (tiny little thing soso tone)

the Epifani is 1000 watt @ 103db sensitivity

so i pick and choose what i bring where.....

the 112 sits at my rehearsal space, the 2x8 is the main cab

and the 410 for larger (louder) gigs without house support.