1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help a complete amp NOOB out.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by gsa599, Jan 9, 2013.

1. gsa599

gsa599

So, my friend gave me an old amp of his for free. It works but has no speakers.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/BX4210A.aspx

It's a behringer BX4210A.

I have done some searching on this forum and have noticed that people are pretty opinionated with this brand. What I can gather is that Behringers CAN be decent for the price, but there is a possibility that you get one that is a nightmare with problems.

I was offered it for free though, and I'm not gonna turn it down. So I don't even know where to start. The site says the amp comes with Bugera aluminum speakers. Should I try to find those exact ones? Do I have to? If not, I'm not familiar with compatibility issues. Should just matching the size of the speakers be what I look for?

Also is this a difficult operation to perform, installing speakers?
  2. Kenzy

Kenzy

What? This combo amp was given to you...without the 2 10" speakers?
  3. gsa599

gsa599

Yes. Is that bad?
  4. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    the stock speakers are pretty whimpy. They probably failed.

I would put something better in. I won't cost you a lot more and you'll get a better sounding amp.
  5. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    If you do replace them make sure they are 8 ohm speakers. This will give you a 4 ohm load which is the min. for the amp.
  6. Kenzy

Kenzy

Nah, I was just clarifying.
  7. Codger

Codger Bradley Baker Supporting Member

Nope. Not hard. Here's some that someone mentioned around here. Scroll down. The Neos are lighter weight.
  8. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

It has output jacks. I would be tempted to saw the speaker box off and just run a decent used cab with it. It's free and if it blows up at least you'll be left with a decent cab and you can buy a new head. If you put new drivers in and the head fails all you'll have is a pair of drivers in a mediocre box.
  9. IPYF

IPYF

This. I like this a lot. This is what I would do. Loading the combo would probably be an overcapitalisation. You'd never get back the scratch you put in. Get yourself a nice 8ohm cab though and you've got yourself a stew going.
  10. gsa599

gsa599

Cool. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the suggestion. Is there any other reason those work other than that they are 10" and 8 ohm?

Are either of those things likely to happen? And is it expensive to find an appropriate cab?
  11. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I'd do the saw off job too. Behringer make some really good stuff but mostly a lot of really nasty stuff that never holds value. The amp by itself going is worth 50 bucks to someone and a 4ohm 2x10 headless combo isn't much use to anyone, not even you. I definitely wouldn't load it with 8 ohm drivers.

You can run two 8 ohm 2x10 cabs with the amp section and it'll make way better bass. Used 2x10 go for 150 - 200 bucks apeice. Decent replacement drivers are the best part of that anyway, so get started with one and add another when you get gigging.
  12. gsa599

gsa599

Ok. So in the back of there are two jacks that read "450 watt out power into 1x4 ohm or 2x8 ohm" And there are 2 cables plugged in and they go inside the box, presumably to where the speakers used to be?

Is this what you guys are talking about?
  13. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    That means you can run either one 4ohm speaker or two 8ohm speakers with it.

I also vote for the chop job and picking up a used 8ohm cab. That leaves you the option of chaining another 8ohm speaker to it the future to turn it into a "stack" when you need to get louder.
  14. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    A couple of affordable....downright cheap....options if you wish to not do all the sawing, etc. and just load it up as an 8ohm, 210 combo. That would still leave you the option of adding another cab.

This one http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/55-3211 for making it loud, work acceptably well, though not huge, deep bass.

Or this one http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/55-3241 for giving up a little bit of loudness, though still acceptable loudness, in exchange for a deeper, fuller lowend and more power handling.

Either of those would be wired in series to make an 8ohm cab. Either are also acceptable for running sealed as well as ported. And either would get you going for what amounts to chump change, and will sound better than their price indicates.
  15. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    I would probably go for the 55-3241. Sturdier driver, better power handling and xmax and a full bottom, won't sound "thin". Likely better than what came in there to begin with.