1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

HELP - Aguilar db680 - noisy tubes

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by apener, Jan 20, 2014.

1. apener

apener Supporting Member

Hi guys,

I am having a problem with my Aguilar db680...
    I live in Israel and have switched it to 240V. at first there were no problems but in the last couple of years i am experiencing problems with this unit.

Theres this "swoosh" noise , hard to explain so i recorded just the noise - attached below.
    I put the gain on max so the it will be easy to hear but also at normal gain it is unusable.
    I turned the knobs which adds more noises at the relevant frequency : Bass , 400 Hz , 1.5kHz, Treble, Bright, Deep ++/+ , and Active/Passive switch.
    NOTICE: there are popping sounds so don't listen to this loudly.

I have changed all the tubes which didn't help...

I have contacted Aguilar but because i am far away there was nothing they can do.

I have serviced this unit before at a very accomplished local tech (http://www.signal-audio.com/index.htm) , but am still suffering from this noise.

Has anyone any idea what is this noise and how can i fix it ? have anyone encountered this problem before ? would a local tech be able to fix it ? should i just throw this piece of garbage :mad:?

Attached Files:

2. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Yes, most definitely. I'll pm you my address. Will pay for shipping too. :D
  3. apener

apener Supporting Member

:D

OK, but could you send me the phone number of your tech first ?
  4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

My first guess would be to make sure the tubes are seated correctly. I also wouldn't rule out a bad tube. Sounds like something is losing contact. Also look closely inside to make sure you don't have a loose wire inside.
    Ive used my for 10 years! Just changed tubes about a year ago. Had a similar noise because one of the tubes wasn't seated correctly.
  5. apener

apener Supporting Member

Just checked the tubes, they are sitting snuggley ...
    Will try and change them again...