HELP Ampeg amp suddenly stopped working

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by gkwilliamson, Sep 24, 2013.

1. gkwilliamson

gkwilliamson

I have an Ampeg Rocket bass B-100 R solid state combo amp. I was at band practice, admittedly had my volume too high (gain at 3-4, vol at 10) and the amp suddenly quit. Can anyone help me identify the problem? (Besides myself cranking it too hard! :rollno: )

Normally when I turn it on or off the speaker pops but now I get nothing except the occasional pop and signal noise when plugging into the headphone jack. The signal runs perfectly out of the headphone and line out. I checked the speaker connections and they seem solid.

Could it be a fuse, the speaker? Please help out an unexperienced bassist!

Thank you, Keaton

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like the speaker blew, the internal wire inside the speaker burned out. That would be my first guess.

3. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    Try connecting a 9V battery to the speaker with the amplifier bits unhooked. If the speaker doesn't move, it's blown. If it does, test it with a multimeter if you have one to see it's resistance (in ohms).

4. gkwilliamson

gkwilliamson

Thank you for the help! I will have to wait till tomorrow to take this tank apart. I will do the 9v and multimeter tests to see if that's my problem. Considering the speaker isnt blown, what would be another possibility?

Thanks again, Keaton

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I seriously doubt that it's any other problem but the speaker. A slight possibility of overheating, but they usually install protection against that.