1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help, back playing after 7 years off and need a bit of help!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by troymcclure72, Jan 7, 2013.

1. troymcclure72

troymcclure72

Just bought myself an Ibanez SR600 and seem to have a real nightmare muting strings that I never had before.

When muting strings with my left hand there still seems to be a harmonic that carries on for a few seconds. I’ve got to the stage where I use both hands (few fingers on left hand) and palm of right hand and it’s still there.

First thought was I’m rusty and technique, but this is getting silly. Could it be the strings, active electronic eq etc? I only ever had a passive jazz bass before...

Any help would be appreciated as it's annoying me!
  2. Bass Mentor

Bass Mentor

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist: Lava Cable, E&O Mari, Rupert Neve Designs
    I don't think it is your electronics at all-- make sure you are using 124 fingering on left hand and the non playing fingers are relaxed and even touching the strings ( this helps the muting in a very logical way) as long as the fingers are not interfering with the speaking note....with your right hand- make sure you are using your fingers to engage the string that is not being used ( again, it aids muting)

I would have to view what you are doing to drill any deeper....but don't use the palm of the right hand to mute....That's OK if you are doing a specialty sound for a particular song or section of a song...but not good as a steady diet as it will hinder you in tonal development and you will have to unlearn if you get into serious playing and doing stage or recording jobs

good luck!
    Steve
  3. Mushroo

Mushroo

Make sure you aren't muting the string at a harmonic "node" (4th/5th/7th/12th fret, etc).
    In fact it's best to mute the string at 2 (or more) points. I recommend 1 or more left hand fingers plus your right hand thumb or finger (not palm, unless you are a pick player)---that gives me good muting results. :)
  4. whitedk57

whitedk57