1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

HELP!!!!!! Bass is unplayable

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jady, Dec 14, 2013.

1. jady

jady

I have a 2 year old Shen laminate bass, I played an orchestral gig 3 weeks ago, the bass was fine and played wonderfully.

Fast forward to last night, I had a easy pop orchestra gig (all whole notes etc.) so I was planning on sightreading the dress rehearsal and gig. I go there pulled the bass out of the case and it was unplayable!!!!

The string clearance at the nut is gone, the strings were laying almost flat at the nut. I used my bridge adjusters to raise the action but I needed to raise the strings almost an inch and they still buzzed at the nut.

*** could have happened? It seems as though the nut collapsed in a bit to lower the action but I cannot see how that could have happened?

I have a gig in like 5 hours and I am freaking out a bit, HELP!!!!!
  2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

Just guessing... the top could have sunk. Is the soundpost in place? The neck joint might have partially failed. The bridge could have gotten knocked so that it's leaning toward the nut. Pictures?
  3. jady

jady

The top is sunk in a bit but would that not mean raising the adjusters should have it back to normal?

The neck joint and soundpost seem fine, the bridge is seated end located correctly.The neck and fingerboard are straight as well. It is like the nut sank in , the grooves are almost even with the fingerboard. This all happened within 2 and a half weeks in a temperature controlled house (70ish).

Pics are rough at the moment, ill see if i can dig up a camera.....

I have found a local string repair shop who have a recommendation I trust, I can drop it off on Monday but I may have to play electric tonight :-(
  4. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

Find a way to take some pictures. Multiple angles of the heel of the neck, the nut, and the bridge would be helpful. Make sure you get a shot of the bridge from the side and from the top wide enough to show its position relative to the F-holes.

Has the top always been sunken, or did this happen recently? Are you 100% certain the soundpost is where it's supposed to be?

Either the neck joint is failing, the bridge has moved or tilted, or the top is sinking rapidly due to a fallen or moved soundpost. I've never heard of a sinking nut before, and as long as there is even a tiny amount (less than a millimeter) of clearance at the nut it shouldn't be a problem.
  5. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Your neck has warped backwards I think.
  6. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

You beat me to it.
  7. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Under string tension?
  8. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Yes, this occasionally happens when the neck wood was inadequately seasoned.
  9. jady

jady

I put a straight rule on the neck and it seems flat. It has to be the belly sinking. I have an appt with a luthier tomorrow.

Thanks for the help :)

(and calming my panic)
  10. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

Not meaning to make light of your plight, please let us know as we have a pool going on the cause. :D
  11. byrdzeye

byrdzeye

Hey, Jady, any word on what happened with your bass? Inquiring minds want to know! :)