Help- battery time seriously low

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Naztrak, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Naztrak

Naztrak

Hello all. I have an Ibanez Sr505, using stock Bartollini (mk1 pups) electronics. I use duracell, expensive batteriest, but their life cannot go over 1 month, sometimes even less. I take good care of the bass, I even rarely play it pluged (never left it unpluged).

So...
    - do these basses really eat up so much battery power?
    - does the preamp it up battery (for instance, if the bass is crancked up or the pickups are on)?

2. prd004

prd004

It should only drain the battery when a cable is plugged into your bass. If you're not leaving a cable in, and your battery is still going that fast, there's something wrong. Possibly with the jack itself

3. Vanceman

Vanceman

I take the batterys out of my Carvin after every gig, and just play passive. Super easy with flip-out compartments. Also, I've heard that rechargables are less than 9 volts when fully charged. Any truth to this?

4. lz4005

lz4005

99% chance your output jack has a short that is causing the preamp to be on when you're not plugged in. Replace it and the problem goes away.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ReidK

ReidK Jst sy n t lssy cmprsn. Supporting Member

In general, yes. There are exceptions, like these, and lithium ion types, but the vast majority of "9 volt" rechargables will charge up to 8.4 volts at most, and that's only when they're brand new. After a few weeks of use, you'll be lucky to get more than 7.4 out of them. Rechargables also self-discharge (go dead even when disconnected) much faster than alkalines.

Reid