HELP! Broken Vintage Japanese Teisco(?) Neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Matt R., Mar 2, 2014.

1. Matt R.

Matt R. Supporting Member

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone knows where to find a neck (besides eBay)for this old Japanese bass with a broken truss rod nut.

Here are some pix:

[​IMG]

The headstock logo:
    [​IMG]

Neck Pocket:
    [​IMG]

Truss nut:
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

Matt

2. Matt R.

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

With a bit of luck, all you will need to do is replace the nut. You don't say whether the end of the truss rod is broken off inside it; hopefully not.

Find a nut with the same thread and install it - you may have to search for the right fit, but Stew-Mac and other places can probably provide it.

4. Matt R.

The nut is broken, and part of the truss rod with it. It seems the neck is cashed.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rllefebv

rllefebv Supporting Member

FWIW, fingerboard removal is fairly easy with this neck. The truss rod is an aluminum channel with the rod in the middle and easy to repair once disassembled... I have one currently apart and will take some pics tomorrow evening when I get home.

-robert

7. bassbenj

bassbenj

Perhaps not. First job is to get the piece of truss rod out of the nut and retap threads. Then you need to inspect end of truss rod. If there are ehough treads still remaining you may be able to reassemble it...perhaps you may need to cut a bit more wood from under where the nut goes (StewMac sells tools for this) And if that fails one can always have the fingerboard removed and a new truss rod installed. As rilefebv says, It's not THAT huge a deal, especially for a totally cool bass like this!

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

This is quite accurate.^^^ And...I can't see the nut in any detail, but a broken nut is trivial. That's an easy fix and there are many threads here on TB telling you how to do it.

9. Matt R.

Awesome. Thanks guys!