help building a rig.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Loxodrome, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Loxodrome

Loxodrome

hi, i'm new here and am looking for aasiatance in building a bass rig for recording and live situations.
    My buget is $3000 AUD. I was thinking of getting an axe-fx2, but am not 100% sure as ive only been playing for a year and a half.
    The bass i have is a Ibanez BTB 670. And my influences incluse tool, protest the hero, the Dillinger Escape Plan, Rolo Tomassi, The Arusha Accord and Sikth

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I'm not sure how the Aussie dollar is doing at the moment. You're able to look at some nice new stuff but probably not the whole shebang. Leave the aas out of it.

Playing in a band presently? PA situation? Bandmates' expectations of noise levels make a huge difference to what constitutes a gigging rig.

Got any pedals? You might want to get some fuzz and distortion going on. That's a money pit on par with amps and basses. The Axefx might be the go for you but you'll be in the basses forum for that.

You'll need good earplugs or you'll wind up like me and many others with a constant squeal in your head that never goes away. Tinnitus is ******. I caught it just in time to prevent major damage but not quick enough to avoid 24/7 squeal.

Assuming you have little to no band experience: the tone you like by yourself is usually not the same tone you need to be well represented in a band mix.

Have a go through some rigs in your friendly music store, it's all personal preference at the end of the day.

3. Loxodrome

Loxodrome

Not in a band atm. I do have a friend i jam with evrry now and then. I'm getting lessons, and doing music at school, i want to make a living in composition.
    I have a boss noise gate and a boss distortion.
    Id love to be gigging but i dont see it happening in he forseeable future, so mainly a set up for practice and recording would be good.

4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Ok, welcome to the world of living skinny. If I was you I'd get a good 2x10 and an older Peavey that can biamp. Save the real money for more important things. 3K on a rig is a waste at this stage.

You could look to work with older guys who make money on the weekends. Jazz, rock, blues, pop, doesn't matter so long as it's paying and letting you see the real world from a stage. These older guys I'm thinking of have figured out less is easy to sound good and load in and out. Win. It took Clapton 25 years to figure it out.

So, you like composing and heavy stuff. Tough market. Presumably you're splitting those interests into work and work/fun. It doesn't sound like there is a need for a rig next week. Cruise the TB world for pearls of wisdom.

The rig I suggested lets you get loud with a subwoofer or a big PA. Add another 2x10 on a big stage playing to hundreds and hundreds. You want to avoid 100w Marshall guitar stacks at bar gigs.

There are many ways to record bass. With all the computer based processing tools all you really need is the DI for starters. If you have serious investment in a particular tone for a project then there is always a rig to borrow.

5. Register to disable this ad