1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help buying a Fender Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mofouy, Nov 6, 2012.

1. mofouy

mofouy

Sorry for my bad English, A person offered to buy a Fender Precison bass.
    Only sent me these pictures. I can not see the serial number. This type of tuner I never saw them .Can you help me if it´s a original Fender , the year and the country where it was made, etc. What´s your opinion of this bass. I am a beginner playing the bass.
    All the information that you provide I will be grateful

:help:

Thank you very much to all from Uruguay

Paul

Another image

Attached Files:

2. Arnie

Arnie

This should bring a lot of speculation from TB'ers in the KNOW. I see a few questionable tell tales and I am just beginning to understand genuine Fender Basses.

First glimpse it "looks" to be vintage, and looking again I see warning signs. I will just leave it at that, but I guarantee TB'ers will shed light on this.
  3. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist Supporting Member

Adding your other image to consolidate your threads :)

[​IMG]
  4. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

If it is a fender, it doesn't have much if any original parts. Thin single ply black pickguard, odd looking knobs, that bridge doesn't look right at all, the tuners are odd and that but doesn't look at all fender or good aftermarket. I wouldn't go for it.

If you're just starting out, I suggest a squier Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified. Both of these are generally great instruments and are cheap. Some people like them more than their Fenders.

EDIT: it looks like the pickguard was cut by hand, I would definitely look elsewhere.
  5. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

I'm no expert, but the headstock decal and knot in the body would scare me away.
  6. Dluxe

Dluxe Supporting Member

Not a Fender at all. Not a bad looking copy though. Headstock shape is wrong, no walnut plug at the headstock, white dots on maple board, neck plate is wrong, bridge is wrong. No idea where it could have been made.
  7. PluckyThump

PluckyThump Supporting Member

It's a parts bass and a really crappy one at that. Throw it on the fire.
  8. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Yikes...look at that bridge. I'd stay away from that one. I second the Squier VM or CV motion.
  9. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Not a Fender
  10. klejst

klejst

May have some Fender parts, but the bass itself is not a true Fender Precision bass.

A Precision bass would be a great bass to start out on. I been playing Precision basses since I first started playing myself.

Not sure what the price is for that bass, however you can probably do better. IMO
  11. owendavis

owendavis

Not an expert either, but I have never seen a Fender with "made in USA" stamped into the wood (above the bridge).

Is that a knot in the D string?

I would look for something better ...
  12. Bongolation

Bongolation

Severe fake.
  13. awilkie84

awilkie84

Heh. I didn't know it was possible to write "fake" in so many different ways. :p
  14. satellite4

satellite4 Supporting Member

that's a decal on the neck. Tuners look pitted and beat up. Nut looks ok i guess. Bridge looks horrible. I've never seen a 'knot' like that in the front of the body, kinda weird.

I would agree the squire p basses are an excellent value...or just a good value uses MIM P.

I was laughing at that too lol..
  15. RonChase

RonChase

Yeh I thought it has to be some Fender copy with a Fender decal, everything has a fair and an unfair price, if it's local try it and if it plays and sounds OK low ball him, but I also would hit the pawn shops
  16. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

I wouldn't be worried about a knot. If there was a solid color finish over it you wouldn't be able to see it anyways.

My tele has knots in the front. I don't mind.
  17. Interius

Interius

+1

And yes, that is a knot on the D-string. What the heck.
  18. backup

backup

hahahaha this gotta be a joke or something
    "made in USA" haha i would buy that one just for laughs
  19. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

It's funny, because it actually has a correct "transition logo" but EVERYTHING else about that bass is WRONG. NOT A FENDER.

[​IMG]
  20. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

Not a Fender.

No way

No how.

No.