1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help: Buying a second bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grubbdog97, Jan 22, 2014.

1. grubbdog97

grubbdog97

Hi!

I've been playing bass for nearly 4 years now and I really want to move beyond the Yamaha Rbx270 that has served me so well. My main stylistic interests are in Jazz and Funk. I would definitely be interested in 5 string due to the styles I like to play. MY price range would be from about $1000 AUD ($886 US)to about $1500 AUD ($1300 US)

Basically, the bass that has caught my eye would have to be the Ibanez BTB675 although after reading some reviews I feel like there is a mixed view on this bass. My local music are Ibanez dealers but have no BTBs.

So, in summary. Suggest me some good basses!

2. SaneseBass

SaneseBass Banned

With one thousand I'd have to go for a used bass. Check your local craigslist first, then maybe check out Music Go Round. You could probably buy a U.S. G&L fiver.

3. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

Where are you located? Anywhere near Melbourne? If so, check out Bass Centre. Just go in and play everything in your price range. Or they do online sales - their website is worth looking at anyway.

If you like the RBX270, you're going to want something meaty with a bit of bite from a neck pickup. I have the same bass. It's still awesome, btw. The Ibanez SR505 is in your range and will do the job, but there are heaps of options. I believe Bass Centre is offering Lakland Skylines in the vicinity of your price range, and Jacks Music (spelling?) in Canberra could swing a G&L Tribute L2500 for well under your budget.

4. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wrench45us

wrench45us

There isn't much here about what sort of tone you're looking for or scale, string spacing and those sort of ergonomic factors.

For that much money you have a lot of choices.

One issue with 5'ers is you may not be able to play a lot of them so you may have to project from scale and string spacing and reviews to what works best for you.

7. grubbdog97

grubbdog97

Thanks for all the responses guys. My internet was just spazzing out so I couldn't respond until now (Abbott!!).

35 inch would be ideal as the sound of the low B on 34's has (in my experience) always been muddy/sloppy. String spacing is not too bigger deal but i think around the 17-19 mm mark is good. As for general size, I'm a fairly solid dude so i don't require lightness.

I have been browsing Bass Centre's online store as I live in Hobart and that's where I'd definitely consider buying my bass from. The only other basss that has kinda caught my attention would maybe be the Sr1205 but then again it is a little too pricey.