1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

help choosing a cheap bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RxFunk, Dec 11, 2012.

1. RxFunk

RxFunk

Hey guys, looking for a little advice on what i should get for my first all electric bass. My local store carries ibanez, dean, epiphone, jackson, and schecter. The closest GC is nearly an hour away, so I'd like to stay with something from my local store. That being said, I'm really gonna be looking for something pretty diverse with a budget at $300 which I know is a lot to ask, but it's all I can do right now. Thanks in advance guys.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

All the brands you mentioned have nice stuff for $300. Play them and see what feels most comfortable to you. Does your local store have used basses? You might get much more value for your money with a used bass.
  3. kevteop

kevteop

Of those I would look at the Ibanez models. Personally though I've never been a fan of their basses, and would recommend you compared them to equivalently-priced Squier and Yamaha offerings if you had access to them.

$300 isn't a big budget but there's a lot of quality at the bottom of end of the market these days. You should be able to get a bass good enough to gig. Also look at the used market - I have only ever bought one bass new and even that was reduced to half price because it had done a trade show.
  4. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Used is the way to go. I like the offerings from Schecter, but it depends what your looking for. What kind of feel, tone etc.
  5. bassgod76

bassgod76 Cort bassist by obligation Supporting Member

Go used and play everything. Buy whaty feels best TO YOU.

Keep us posted, and post pics when you make your selection.
  6. RxFunk

RxFunk

Unfortunately, the store doesn't sell used gear, and the only basses I've played in their shop were the epi t-bird and the eb-3, which aren't really what I'm looking for anymore... To bassgod: I'll post pics soon as I get my new bass, but it'll probably be a few weeks as I've got to save up a bit more, and sell my AB-10 first.
  7. RxFunk

RxFunk

Oh, I forgot to address the tone question, I'm gonna be playing everything from jazz to blues to rock, so I'd like something that'd handle all that pretty well
  8. Dr. Cheese

IT sounds like your best options will be Ibanez or Schecter. personally, I would probably get an Ibanez unless he had one of those Schecter P-bass fives or that model with the two humbuckers a coil splitting pot.
  9. RxFunk

RxFunk

I think the one you're talking about Dr.Cheese is the raiden deluxe( don't quote me on that). It definitely interests me, but I haven't actually gotten to play it yet to see if i like it
  10. Dr. Cheese

That's it. I think they are nice and would be easy to mod with different pickups or a preamp if that's what you want.
  11. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

12. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

13. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

I own a VM Jazz just like that one and have played about 15 of them in the last 2 years. They are all VERY consistent with each other and therefore I think it would be safe to buy a new one online sight unseen. Just make sure the seller will allow returns within 15 or 30 days so you have an evaluation period to make up your mind on keeping it.
  14. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

That's exactly what I did with my VM Jazz as well as my VM P (and all my instruments, really) And I am very happy with what I got.
  15. bassgod76

bassgod76 Cort bassist by obligation Supporting Member

You don't have access to Craigslist?

I only push used gear, because where I live, I see used Ibanez basses by the truckload, each day.

In any event, welcome aboard, and I hope you get something that makes you happy. :-D
  16. superqwertyboy

superqwertyboy

You cant go wrong with a Squier
  17. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Same here. My area is lacking with good basses most are Squier Affinities or Ibanez starter pack Gios. Sometimes a worthy instrument shows up. Got an almost new GSR200 for $90. I dont consider it a beginners only instrument. But it definitely could be. So there can be some great deals had with the right patience and luck.
  18. RxFunk

RxFunk

Lol, yeah, i have access to craigslist, but on my local cl we get a lot of p-basses and not much else, there is however an LTD B-50 for sale right now for $100 if anyone has any experience with one of those that'd be helpful. It appears to have the same pickup configuration as the schecter raiden deluxe.
  19. nomeX

nomeX

If I were to do it all over, I'd find a used USA Peavey Foundation, or any USA Peavey. I recently found something in the P/J,six-bolt-neck,24 fret flavor in a Yamaha 800AF. I got it for less than $200. 90's Yamahas are pretty affordable nowadays.
  20. RxFunk

RxFunk

to nomeX: I've been looking local for a USA Peavey, with no luck, or if I do find one, it's priced unreasonably high