1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help choosing a rig?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by NightTripper, Dec 2, 2012.

1. NightTripper

NightTripper

It's time I get myself a decent rig. I am thinking about an Ashdown MAG 600H with an Ashdown ABM 410.

What I am wondering is, do any of you have experience with these? Can they even work together? I don't really know anything about ohms, but the specs on the head say "minimum 4 ohms." The cab is 8 ohms. Ashdowns sound great as far as I can tell from youtube and such, but I probably won't be able to try before buying. The few music stores in my area have very limited options for bass rigs.

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

A 8 ohm cab is fine (just less power out from the amp head). Two 8 ohm cabs will make the min 4 ohm load. Any more cabs than that and you will exceed the amp's load capacity. A 8 ohm and 4 ohm cab will also exceed the amp's load as it would make a 2.667 ohm load

3. IPYF

IPYF

I used to play with a guy who used the exact rig you're suggesting + sometimes he used a 115 or a 210 as well. It's a big organic sound, well suited to a passive bass and a large warm room. If you like warm tones they're a great amp with a decent amount of clarity. The cabs were also good and the amp had heaps of headroom for almost any scenario.

You can start with this and add on another cab at a later stage if you need to move more air. Ashdown gear has an unreasonably pox resale value even for gear in great nick so it's super cheap to 'keep it in the family' later on down the track.