1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help choosing monitors and duet hook-up

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by pghjeeper, Dec 13, 2013.

1. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Hey all I'm a complete newbie when it comes to home recording and I plan to use my gear to record my family for fun, my son and nephew play guitar and I play bass.
    I just pruchased an imac about 4 months ago and I picked up an apogee duet with break-out box used for a good price localy. I want to add some monitors now and and I have it narrowed down to the JBL LSR-305, Mackie MR6mkIII or the Yamaha HS7. I really like JBL products and I have had good luck with them in the past. I don't have a real big area as my music room is only 12x13.
    Also I know the Duet has an unbalanced output and most of the speakers I'm looking at only have balanced inputs. Should I just hook them up using the 1/4 jacks of equal length, its a very short run and not worry or should I sell my breakout box and get the balanced version? Thanks
  2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

Grab a set of Equator D5's. Nothing, IMO, beats them in that price range.
  3. sadowskyguy

sadowskyguy Supporting Member

^ +1
    I have heard the Equators and I wish I had gotten them instead of what I currently have.
  4. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Ya I chose those three because I can do a 4 payment plan with zzounds and the wife will never know....if I put them on the credit card she will see it lol
  5. silky smoove

Won't she notice two large speakers in the house regardless of how they were funded?
  6. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

No it's my music room/need cave she stays out lol. I have it down to the jbl's and adam f5's. If I don't like them I'll sell them off over the summer and get the equators. I have a really high end set of headphones I can mix with these are going to be for mixing/playback for me and my son.
  7. silky smoove

Out of those, I'd go with the Adams.
  8. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Thanks if I go unbalanced 1/4 to balanced 1/4 over a short run what will be the negatives?
  9. silky smoove

Is it a Duet, or a Duet2?
  10. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Original Duet with break-out non balanced box
  11. silky smoove

My second home recording setup was a Duet into a pair of KRK Rokit 5s. I always used a pair of TRS to XLR cables and never had any issues.

I've read reports of the original Duet not playing well with newer versions of OSX, so be careful when upgrading.
  12. Gideon352

Gideon352 Supporting Member

The JBL LSR-305's sound great! I'd get those without hesitation. The imaging is fantastic.
  13. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Thanks just ordered the jbl's