1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Help choosing new cab!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jstringer, Apr 12, 2014.

1. What's up bottom dwellers!

I had some unfortunate gear come up missing out of a trailer. Sigh. I'm over it.

Just scored a peavey vb-2 tube head and need a bigger cab but nothing like an 8x10.

I'm looking mainly at

1. Traynor tc808. I use to own this cab and loved it. I would get another but am curious about the other two.

2. Aguilar DB4x12

3. And a eden xlt6x10 that is used at the local GC. ..

And go! I play rock/pop mainly. I love the midrange presence and a round smooth bottom just like any guy.

I'm using a mm stingray 5 and a jazz bass with an upgraded audere pre and fralin pups

2. Open to other suggestions as well

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Of those, I'd opt for the DB412, but a 212 would be enough for me.

5. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Eden 6x10. I wish there was one around here.
    Great cab.

6. Will the Aggie be too low end focused?
    I like to cut through.
    I'll just have to take my head and give them a whirl

7. You'll cut no problem with the Eden. It won't sound muddy ever but will still give a great full sound. Just don't be afraid to boost the lows a little on your amp. The Eden is also a very efficient to make use of everything your amp can put out.

8. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    The GK 412 NEO is definitely worth a listen, if you're considering pieces that big. Not only is it easy to handle for its size and great sounding, it makes one watt sound like a million.

9. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    For me, I would want a 3015 loaded greenboy Dually.

10. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Metropolis Il
    From what you have listed I would pick the Aggie. I've not played any that you have on your list but I'm just partial to 12's. Ampeg just came out with a new SVT 212 AV might be worth checking out also.

11. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    The aguilar 412 is a beast. Its 149 lbs. without a cover. If you have the means to transport the cab it will give you what you want. Its clean with a great bottom end.

12. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    The DB version will have a better mid focused than most 412's. I have 2 DB 12's and they are a fantastic combination. I see you have a Thunderfunk 550B. I know with the 2 12 DB's its amazing. Not sure it will push a 412 but the thunderfunk heads are a nice combination with the aggies DB cabs.

13. StraightSix

StraightSix

Nov 23, 2011
    Me too ;)

14. Cool. Thanks for the input. Sounds I can't go wrong with either.

No love for the traynor? That 8x8 was awesome with my thunderfunk

15. I remember when the 8X8 Traynors came out. I kept seeing them come back to our local shop with blown drivers. I never really gave it a chance after that.

16. Holy crap that's terrible. I wonder how hard they were pushing them. They seem like a high wattage rated cab.

The 8x8 might of worked with great with my thunderfunk but my new vb-2 is a different beast on its own.