Help!!! Confusion with Ohms!!!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Shannen Norris, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Shannen Norris

Shannen Norris

So I took a leap of faith. Bought an Ashdown 330 Touring combo. Has a 1x15. 330w rated at 4 ohms.
    It sounds glorious. However, without an extension cab, I am only getting around 200w. And too much over driven tone when I push it (obviously). I need more clean volume. I'm only play small gigs with a moderate volume drummer and guitarist.

My question: What cab(s) would be compatible? I have learned that the wrong combination in watts and (perhaps more importantly) ohms can fry my combo's head.

Please help! My brain hurts...
  2. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

Looking at the manual:

http://www.americanmusical.com/ItemFiles/Manual/Ashdown_Valve_manual.pdf

The back of the amplifier has two outputs. One, I assume, is now used for powering the combo speaker. The other is free to connect to an external speaker. Since all information asserts that you can run the amp at 200 W maximum to the combo speaker, we must assume it is rated at 8 ohms.

If you like how your combo sounds, why not get an Ashdown extension cabinet of the exact same speaker configuration you now have, also rated at 8 ohms? Powering that one off the now vacant speaker output jack, you have a total (parallel) load of 4 ohms. This way you will be able to utilize the full output of the amplifier.

I hope this was the required Aspirin for your brain.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd go with another 115 by Ashdown, say, the Ashdown VS115. You're less likely to have phasing issues than if you mix driver sizes.
  4. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

^+1 best solution

Honestly, any bass cab that's rated at 8ohms with a minimum of 100w rating will be acceptable to the amp.

Tone could be altered, or phasing issues can occur.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Surely Ashdown has a matching 15 for it.
  7. chienmort

chienmort

To be fair to Ashdown, many combo manufacturers quote the max power output with an extension cab, not the maximum power output with the internal speaker only. As stated above chose another Ashdown 15.
  8. Shannen Norris

Shannen Norris

Thank you guys so much. I needed this verrrrrry much.