Help! Current, best easily portable rig for the buck?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Discharge, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Discharge

Discharge

Hi guys, I don't use these forums (or the internet) much but I was hoping someone could help.

I want to start playing bass again but I have moved to Dubai and there's a massive lack of bass gear here new... let alone used.

So I need to get a rig shipped in, this means it needs to be quite light and powerful.

When I used to play I had a Mark Bass Little Mark 2 & 2x Aguilar GS112, which I *really* liked and i'm quite tempted to just buy that same rig again since it kept up with most drummers nicely and it had a great sound.

I have been out of the loop for a long time now, is there anything else I should consider?

My all time favorite sound was a GK 1001RB + Aguilar GS212. I play everything pretty much except Jazz.
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

All just personal preference, but I would suggest you stick with the 2x12 or 2x 1x12, and not go smaller there.
  3. IPYF

IPYF

If you really liked that Markbass rig I'd go for it again.

If I were in your position I wouldn't be getting anything shipped in that you hadn't played through before. There are plenty of setups you *could* get but since you haven't heard them I'd be really hesitant to do it were I in your position.

I have a 1001 and the last word I would use to describe it would be portable.
  4. Discharge

Discharge

I don't mind taking the leap, I imported my Aguilar GS112 before there was ever a dealer in the U.K.

Sometimes you just gotta have faith :bassist:

I mentioned the GK because it was my favorite sound to give you a bit of a direction on what I like for suggestions?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

Check a GK MB212
  7. countrybass007

countrybass007

An Orange TT with an SP212 cab,
  8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Thomman ship very cheaply but their packing can be hopeless. MarkBass are voltage specific, GenzBenz switch between 240v and 120v.
  9. Discharge

Discharge

I don't like Genz Benz, however I do like the idea of a TT and SP212.

Are fearful cabs still highly regarded... or has the bubble burst?
  10. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

I would also suggest the GK combos,,,, they are light, portable and are a huge bang for the buck.

I own Ampeg and GK stuff mostly and used to use only Mark bass gear (along with every other major brand of bass gear) and for what you posted your needs are,,,,, my vote goes for GK.

I just picked up the new MB115 series 2 GK combo and this thing sounds amazing,,,, and weighs like 32 pounds.

Cheers
    Davyo
  11. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

This seems like good advice. I have the MB500 and the Neo 212, which is practically the same thing. Great little rig that really kicks.
  12. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The problem with the SP212 is it only has the output of a 112, but you carry the weight of both speakers.

If you are interested in having a fEARful built, Greenboy has designed a new line of cabs called fEARless. This new line is smaller and lighter, but still just as capable. Pauses with a high powered micro like the gk mb800 or Genz 9.2 and you have a killer rig.
  13. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Greenboy's FearLess line are very nice cabs but you'd need to get one built. The F112 I tried, sounded very good with my Aguilar TH500. The F115 is a little bigger but I've never tried that one (but I have tried the F215 which was absolutely killer but not in the really portable camp).

If you liked the Aguilar GS112, I'd suggest getting one of those and getting the Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 amp. It's about 3 lbs and sounds wonderful.
  14. Russell L

Russell L

If you go with Markbass consider the Big Bang. Pretty much the same as a Little Mark, but smaller, lighter, and with more features, all for just an extra $79. For a cab I'd consider Barefaced Bass. A single Compact (one 15") would kick any 212. Check out barefacedbass.com.
  15. jlepre

jlepre

:confused: I don't understand this phrase...
  16. Discharge

Discharge

The Tone Hammer + GS112 seems to be winning here.

Does the TH work best with GS or DB cabs?
  17. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I really dig the Tone Hammer sound. I would love a TH 500 and a greenboy Bassic15 for a small/portable old school rig.
  18. Mtnman

Mtnman

I have a GK MB210 that I really dig. Of all of the GK MB series combos, I believe it is the most versitile because its the only one that allows you to add an extention cab to it.

By itself it is 350W, but when you add an 8 ohm cab, it bumps up to 500W. I use mine as a stand alone for small to medium rooms and dragging to rehearsals. I add a 4x10 cab for larger rooms. Both of my bands have loud drummers and I've never found myself wanting for more power.

Oh, did I mention the rig only weighs 33lbs???
  19. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

My understanding is the DB cabs are more old school sounding but I believe they are heavier than the GS cabs. There are some that use the TH with the GS cabs.