1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help daisy chaining Peavey Minx

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by GlennW, Aug 11, 2013.

1. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

Here's the related section from the online manual:

"PREAMP OUT/POWER AMP IN (6)
    A stereo Out/In jack provided for in-line patching of effects devices for each of the two amplifiers. A shielded
    "Y" cord (Peavey Part #0005299) with a 1/4" stereo phone plug (ring, tip, and sleeve) branching into two 1/4"
    mono phone plugs is required for this connection (insert fully). The "tip" of the stereo plug routes the signal
    to effects device input. The effects device output is returned through the "ring". The "sleeve" is ground. The
    first click of this stereo jack can be used as a preamp output
    without disturbing the signal flow to the remainder
    of the system.
    NOTE: If the second click of the Out/In jack is utilized without returning any signal to the system from an
    effects device, the preamp functions will be disabled. The preamp level is approximately 1 volt RMS and is
    high impedance (600 ohms). Any effects device used in this effects loop must be capable of receiving 1 volt
    input and providing 1 volt output in order to properly drive the power amp"

Can this be done two ways?

One way going from the first amp's Preamp Out to the second amp's input (instrument jack, uses amp 2's Preamp and EQ),

and a second way,

going from amp 1's Preamp Out to amp 2's Power Amp In (bypasses amp 2's Preamp)?

I'm misunderstanding something. From the manual's description the "tip" is Preamp Out (fx send), but it also says use the "first click" of the Out/In jack. It looks to me like the first click would be the "ring" part of the jack.

Can I connect them from amp 1's Preamp Out to amp 2's Power Amp In?

I don't want to try it and screw something up.
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Preamp OUT to power amp IN is fine, but preamp OUT to the main INput of another amp can be a problem, and I wouldn't do that if you're not experienced and familiar with gain staging.
  3. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

Thanks.

Just to be sure, is that

1st click on amp 1's fx jack to 2nd click on amp 2's fx jack (with a mono cord)?

Amp 1's controls works both amps; amp 2's knobs are disabled?

Edit: I spoke with Peavey and they confirmed what you said. Amp 1 Preamp Out (1st click) to Amp 2 Power Amp In (2nd click).

DO NOT plug into the Input of Amp 2. That limits the Minx chain to two amps.