1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help Dating A Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Jan 30, 2014.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    She just keeps saying no.

Jokes aside, I'm trying to find an 84 P Bass for my 30th this year.

I have a lead on a potential one but I can't figure out what year it was actually made, definitely in the right region between 83 and 85 but can't find anything that just screams 84 to me.

According to what I can find online it's a Fullerton (or the neck is :p)

Can someone help me with the below pics and see if I can establish if this is an 84 or not?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

E3 is 83, at least mine was. I had an Elite I. All Fender's at this time are made in the Fullerton plant to my understanding, the highly sought after models from that era are the Fullerton RI (reissue) series as they made them with the same tools and methods as pre-CBS production did.

I am sure somebody can tell you more from the pictures, that is all I can offer you. I cannot give you a price quote since you are not a supporting member but outside of the Fullerton series, early 80's Fenders are usually a great deal; so do not overpay ;)

Hope that helps!
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Supporting Member

4. deeptubes

deeptubes

Check the pot codes.
  5. pfox14

pfox14

There are a lot of over-lapping serial #s in this era, which is why Guitar Dater gives a range of 3 years. Can't make out the neck stamp at all, so I don't think that will help. Can you get the pot codes?
  6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:

Thanks I'm not after a price for it, just literally some form of proof it is a 1984, as this is the year I was born that's all I need to know.

Thanks for the info though
  7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:
    Potentially, but it's had a J fitted to it so at least one pot is new, potentially all of them.

I know the guy selling it, in fact he wasn't till he heard I was after an 84 P Bass, which is what this was when he bought it from a shop but proof on that exact year seems a little thin on the ground (but had the same with two JV's I've investigated).

I might just go the route that if I can't prove it's not an 84 for all intents and purposes it is ;)
  8. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Just ask her out on a date! Have some cajones! XD
  9. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

There's an 84 E series in the classifieds now I have no financial interest or gain in that sale.
  10. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:
    WOW, thanks you, neck made 19th June 1984, body made 10th July 1984

I was born 19th July 1984
  11. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Supporting Member

Classic!
  12. GM60466

GM60466

1983 here