1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help deciding a hipshot bridge (string spacing).

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by halz426, Jan 14, 2014.

1. halz426

halz426

Hey all, hope someone can help.

So I have an old washburn xb-600. I finally got serious about upgrading this bass after gigging it a couple of years.

I ordered new strings for it (infeld flatwound bass strings size 33-136), Gonna get a brass nut installed and a new brass hipshot bridge and a fresh setup for the strings.

Question:​
    I measured my bridge spacing with a dial caliper across all the strings (divided by 5) and then individually.

Basically my string spacing is .585. (according to my thoughts)

I measured a total of 2.956 across the whole bridge which equated to .5912 (measured from closest saddle to the pickups)

The spacing between the strings individually was .585 and was consistent between strings.

The smallest spacing hipshot sells is .656 and .669 (according to website) so I am confused as to what spacing I need to order.

I am looking at the adjustable A model bridge. It says the saddle can be adjusted to .080 either way.

So with the adjustments they both seem like it can be close . Just not sure which one to bite the bullet on.

Any input would be appreciated.​
  2. Budbear

Budbear

I suggest you give Hipshot a call. They have extremely good customer service and go out of their way to get you what you may need. I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

Toll Free: 800-262-5630
  3. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

.656 is closest to ,585 so you won't have to set the rollers so far off center. The wider spacing will put your outer strings farther off center closer to the edge of the saddle block

.656-.585=..071 this works barely
    .656 X 5 = 3.33 -2.925 =. 405

,669-.585=..084 actually you'll be out f space and be too wide with this.

Call and ask if the make other spacings if not another brand would be better. .
  4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

This. FWIW, I always measure string spacing center-to-center.

Riis
  5. halz426

halz426

Thanks for the input and equations. I appreciate it.

After some research, it seems that the only bridge that will fit is a Kahler Bridge: P#: 2450N-6 (fixed bridge)

Minimum string spacing: .550
    Minimum outside spacing: 2.750
    Link: https://www.kahlerusa.com/public/pdf/2440%20Series%20Modular%20Bridge%20Systems%20Specifications%20-%20Fixed%20Bass%20Bridge.pdf

So that will work, the hipshots are on a 4-8 week backorder.

Does anybody have any experience with these Kahler bridges. I had a kahler floyd rose bridge on an old guitar and it was "so so not too impressive".

It does seem super adjustable.

I am replacing my bridge because the old "factory" bridge is bending at the tail and pulling off the body.

Thanks
  6. rojo412

rojo412 You're entering a world of bass... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    I had one of the Kahlers on a Modulus 6er back in the day and it was a great bridge. Infinitely adjustable, really. Kind of complex, but sturdy and perfect for difficult string spacings.

FWIW, I know which guitar trem you mean... those are underwhelming to say the least.