1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

HELP! Deluxe Jazz 24 needs work

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MortallyWounded, Mar 17, 2014.

1. MortallyWounded

MortallyWounded

:help: So I got me one of them 24-fret Korean Fender jobbers. Here's the deal:

1. No output. Probably the preamp. It's an '05 and I'm not the original owner. Are these preamps available? I haven't found one online new yet.

2. Fener/Gotoh High Mass: This doesn't look like any Gotoh OR Fender bridge I've seen. It was missing a treble intonation screw (on of the longer ones). I see they are 3mm x 0.5 pitch. I can't seem to find a set anywhere. Second thought on that: I'd like to replace the bridge altogether, since the original was strung topside instead of through body, and it pulled the tailpiece up off the body. Bridge is bent up, screws are solid. Kinda eliminates the "high mass" effect, but that's okay because I prefer string-through anyway.

3. Hipshot Licensed tuners. I've contacted Hipshot on these and am hoping for an answer sometime this week. One of the tuners is "grinding." It lost whatever white bushing was in it... when I bought it, the bushing material was coming out in chunks on the key post. They weren't made in Interlaken, so I can't just run next door and get replacement bushings... can I?

4. Truss Rod: I friggin' hate Fender truss rods that adjust at the headstock. They never line up, and this one is halfway between metric and 'Murican. In other words, it's already slightly stripped. I'm able to adjust it, but what a pain in the neck.:bag: I just wanted to whine on that last one.

Anyway, I got the thing for $240 and I'll proabably be putting about $100 into it before it's back up to snuff. Finish is great, but it has some minor blemishes. Mainly chips in the tip of the headstock.

Hopefully the freaking headstock doesn't snap off... it's solid, but I just don't trust anything without an angled headstock, especially when it's as thin as an Ibanez.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Did you try changing the battery?

3. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Is it one of the ones with the Duncan design pups?

4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I believe these have basslines pickups.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Yeah Basslines.. but aren't they Duncan Designed?

7. MortallyWounded

MortallyWounded

Seymore Duncan Basslines, I think they are before the "Duncan Designed" branding.

Preamp is BEQ3, I can get one for $53 but I want to make sure that's what it needs first.

Bridge is almost like a Fender/Jackson C20, but with holes for through-body. Still working on it.

8. jdelo85

jdelo85

I had one of these, the trus got stripped. Ordered a new neck 3 actually through warmoth,stew-mac and all parts. None would work or set properly. Ended up using the guts for mods in another bass.

9. MortallyWounded

MortallyWounded

I've seen a few of them disassembled and sold for parts. I can't do it. It's just too damned odd for me to take it apart and get rid of it in pieces.

I know some very, very talented trick welders who can take care of the truss rod issue for me. I'm also talking with Bill at Hipshot about getting these imported tuners fixed up. The foreign made ones just aren't nearly as reliable as the real Hipshots right from Dave's shop in Interlaken.

Stupid website is down. Going to order the preamp once it's up again.

Got the bridge screw and spring replaced. Plate still bent. Cheap.

Yeah, she's a lemon. Aren't they all? Friggin' MIKs just ain't as good as the real thing. But in about 30 years, all these weird cheap basses I own will be worth... something. Probably not much, but something.

10. 1SmartJosh

1SmartJosh

I went through the exact same problems with the 5 string version. Here is what I did to fix the problems.

I bought the bass before realizing the original owner had stripped the truss rod. I ordered the tapered Allen from stewmac for removing stripped nuts. After months of searching and waiting I finally concluded you will never find a replacement that fender says will work. This 6 bolt oddity was made by Cort and not many parts exist. I found a friend who works at a machine shop to make a new one.

Now for the bridge. This was designed about 90 percent correct. Nice high mass string thru, but no saddle grooves. As a result they move and the g string always rests to close to the edge. The fix for this was to have a replica made but I ordered the USA fender saddles ( that can be bought separately from the bridge) and had the groves cut to match. If you want I can send a copy of the measurements.

Finally for the preamp. Those were horrible anyway. I ordered a cheap one from Bass Central, but there are a ton of options that will match 4 holes and a switch.

I know this sounds like an impossible amount of work, but I just did it as a project to have fun with. For someone working around some Cnc machines it's really not much work. Hope this helps.