Help! Distortion/Farty cab w/Ashdown Little Bastard

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jacksonev94, Feb 7, 2014.

1. jacksonev94

jacksonev94 Supporting Member

I'm having a lot of problems with my cab, a GK MBE210, and my head, an Ashdown LB-30. Any time that I really dig in when playing, the LB does its characteristic tubey breakup (master at noon, EQ as flat as possible, BDDI running a slight bass boost with 40% blend, and an LMB-3 with the output at noon), but the speakers in my cab just completely fart out and distort. It sounds terrible, and it's really having an effect on my playing, since I'm terrified that any hard pluck/pick could provoke the noise. What could the problem be? This happens regardless of whether or not my pedals are plugged in, so I'm pretty sure it's the cab; I just don't know how to fix the problem. New cab, maybe?
  2. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

With the tone controls (Fender tone stack) of the LB-30 "EQ as flat as possible" is probably not what you think. I think you are probably just pushing the 30 watts too hard. I highly doubt it's your cab. Do you have another head to try with the cab?

It's been a while since I've messed with mine - but trying to get an OK volume while keeping it semi clean is a challenge.
  3. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    I'm pretty sure there's no way a 30 watt amp can hurt a purpose-built 2x10 bass cab by a reputable manufacturer. Try the cab with another amp, before you get too mad at it-- do you have active pickups that may need a new battery? Is the cab used and new to you? you may have gotten somebody else's trash :/ I'd definitely rule out each part of the signal chain, one by one, until there's nothing left that it could be besides the cab.
  4. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    +1

That amp doesn't have the juice to fart out even the cheapest of 210 bass cabs assuming they're not already broken from something else.

Knobs nooned on a fender tonestack is already bass boosted and mid scooped.....ie: already pushing those 30watts hard in the lows.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Warwick Qc418

Warwick Qc418 Supporting Member

With a hot passive bass the preamp may distort soon on the lb30. Try the active input and switching the bass frequency.
  7. basspedaler

basspedaler

Yeah, you may be coming in strong with that BDDI. if your mid is at noon you're not running flat EQ. the mid is more like the gain. back it down to about 10:30. your bass knob can get close to noon, and the treble can further clean you up by leaning it to the plus side. it is a sweet amp! I like mine best with a baggie 15..

some good talk on the tone stack:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/fender-alembic-bbe-tone-stack-explained-491699/
  8. jacksonev94

jacksonev94 Supporting Member

Thanks for the input. I did some reading about the tone stack EQ, played around with it, and combined it with a very moderate EQ setting on my BDDI. Amp set as close to a "flat" response as possible, master at 11:30, bass at 12:30 and treble at 12:00 on the BDDI, and the level set to where I want my clean volume. Sounds tight and punchy, with some good volume and growl.