1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help! Extra pup for 4 to 5 string conversion?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mohessa, Dec 4, 2012.

1. mohessa

mohessa

I just sent this email to EMG. But maybe there is someone here who can advise me? Please, any help would be much appreciated:

Hi good people at EMG,

I have just built a P-bass and I'm insanely happy with the sound I get from the EMG PX pups that I have installed.

However, I have a problem. My bass is a conventional 4-string which I have converted to a 5-string to get tighter string spacing (this facilitates my pick technique). I have seen others do this on the Internet. They have kept the old 4-string pickup setup and it seems to work fine for them. But with the setup I now have I get significantly less signal from the middle string. It seems like it's in "no mans land". What can I do to sort this out?

(See attached photo.) My first idea was to just install an extra pup in the middle and connect it serially with the other two. (Never mind the aesthetics, I don't mind. Actually, I think it would look cool.) However, I'm no tech buff and I don't know what this would mean in terms of signal, magnetic disturbance etc.

What I really want to know is if this is something you REALLY advise against... Hmm?

I know you have the P5X as well but I have already bought these, and I can't find where to get P5X here in Europe/Sweden. (Not listed at thomann.de, for instance.)

And if this isn't the right way to go, what is?

Would you be so kind as to advise me? It would make a happy customer a much happier customer.

Sincerely,

Magnus

Attached Files:

2. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Have you tried raising the inner sides of the P pups a little?

(If you were to look at it from the bridge, up the bass, they'd look more like / \ than - - , if you catch my drift, though obviously you wouldn't have them at that steep and angle!).

I have no experience with those pickups, but it might help.

3. mohessa

mohessa

Thanks for your thoughts i_got_a_mowhawk... Yeah, I tried that. But I didn't get any audible result. If anything I got more of the other strings.

4. mohessa

mohessa

Correction: It seems the pups are not connected serially. According to EMG the standard setup is parallel. (But I'm not really sure. Again, I'm no tech buff.)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Nev375

Nev375

The problem is theres no polepiece or blade beneath the middle string. Adding a 3rd coil would likely introduce hum.

If it were mine, I'd retrofit it for a humbucker.

7. mohessa

mohessa

Thanks NEV275... I understand the polepiece part. I should say that the EMG PX pups are active. Again, I think they're parallel. And they are totally silent. No hum at all the way they are installed now, even though their not grounded.

8. mohessa

mohessa