HELP! Fender Bridge confusion!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jonesn4bass, Apr 12, 2014.

1. jonesn4bass

jonesn4bass

Hi Guys -

I picked up a Modern Player Tele bass a few weeks back, and as I'm sure many of you are aware, the pole pieces on the bridge pickup don't line up with the strings.

I wanted to try swapping out to a bridge with a narrower string spacing to remedy that situation so I ordered a Fender Vintage Threaded bridge (Part: 099-0804-100), figuring with the threaded saddles I'd be able to adjust my string spacing some.

What I learned: not all official fender, 5 hole, bridges are equal. The bridge on the Tele is substantially larger and wider and the 5 hold pattern doesn't come close to lining up with the bridge I purchased. I can't find official measurements online for either of them and the bass in at my rehearsal space right now.

Anyone have any suggestions for a bridge that would fit that mounting pattern and allow me adjust the string spacing closer? I'd rather not drill new holes if avoidable, and I do NOT want old holes to show around the edges of a new bridge if I have to go with the drilling option.

Any and all input would be great!
  2. squirefan

squirefan

Without being familiar with the bridge, I was wondering if you can put the threaded saddles on the original bridge.
  3. lz4005

lz4005

Does the bass sound bad because the poles don't line up?
  4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

that's got the two big humbuckers, right?

string alignment matters a little with regular alnico rod pickups, and matters even less with humbuckers, which have one big magnet underneath and thus create a big, diffuse field.

i wouldn't give it a second thought, and you have a cool bridge on there.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Slap_N_Slide

Slap_N_Slide

I recently installed a schaller 2000 bridge on my mij jaguar deluxe. This i the only bridge available with adjustable string spacing.

The schaller is a good bridge, but a little fiddly to set up. I think it is a drop in replacement for all fender 5 screw hole bridges, to be sure there are tech measurements on the schaller web site.

If you definately want to change the spacing i believe that is your easiest option.
  7. jonesn4bass

jonesn4bass

Thanks for the replies guys!

It is the Tele with two large humbuckers. It doesn't make a huge difference, but there is definitely a noticeable volume output difference between the E and A strings. I have tried adjusting the poles to compensate, and while it helped, it didn't totally fix the issue.

I'll look into the Schaller more. I don't think the screws will align with the larger than normal bridge that is on it now.

Thanks!
  8. Bobster

Bobster

The series 1 Modern Player bridge has 20mm spacing instead of standard 19. It's the same bridge used on the Squier CV series, w/brass saddles.

A regular Fender-style (5 hole) bridge should fit. So, you could buy a vintage-style bridge w/threaded saddles to fine tune.

Hipshot A bridges are also adjustable for string spacing as well, but the vintage style bridge is a much cheaper solution.

Bob
  9. walterw

ironically, this would be a really good bridge for their "better" stuff like the mexi jazz basses, you'd get perfect string alignment with the magnet poles unlike the stock mexi bridges.
  10. jonesn4bass

jonesn4bass

Yeah, that's the thing. It doesn't. I ordered the vintage one with threaded saddles and it is no where near the same size as the high mass CV one that came on it. So, until I can get some accurate numbers of the spacing on the CV bridge to compare it to the likes of the Hipshot A or the Schaller 2000, I'm not about to spend the money on them.

If anyone has measured the spacing on a CV bridge before, I'd be thrilled to have that hole spacing to work with. The other option is go just go to my rehearsal space and take the bridge off to measure it for myself.

Thanks!
  11. Bobster

Bobster

Jonesn,

Can you be a little more specific? What doesn't fit?

Do you mean the screws are located differently, or the plate is a different size, or both?

If worst comes to worst, you should be able to fill the holes for the old bridge (you should be able to use the center hole to align a different 5 or 3 hole bridge to get the spacing you want.

Thanks and any extra info should help.

Bob
  12. jonesn4bass

jonesn4bass

Hi Bob -

Thanks for the response. The replacement Fender Vintage bridge is smaller all around than the stock bridge. As a result, the mounting holes are also closer together and don't line up with the holes from the existing bridge.

I know I could fill the holes, but I'd rather not go that route if I don't have too.
  13. Bobster

Bobster

I understand, but unfortunately I'm pretty sure there's not a drop-in replacement for that bridge.

As I responded earlier that bridge is used on the Squier CVs (not VMs) as well as first series Modern Player basses and folks have been looking for a replacement for a while.

You can check here http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/sq...acement-parts-mega-thread-612616/index23.html if you want to do further research.

Only other thing I can think to try is using the threaded saddles on that bridge. Not sure they are wide enough to get the set screws to ride in the tracks, but it's definitely the easiest option no a non-permanent change.

All the best,

Bob
  14. squirefan

squirefan

Or, get a bass that fits your new bridge:eyebrow:

Worth a shot.

Just sayin'
  15. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

Not all humbuckers have 1 big magnet. They're not blades like an EMG. That said, the magnetic field on bass pick-ups are HUGE.

I had a Jaguar 5er with pole alignment that was so bad people in the crowd noticed. But the sound was unaffected.

I suggest taking the saddles & screws from that vintage bridge & putting them on the plate for the stock bridge.
  16. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

I agree. They may not work, but give it a go and let us know. The knowledge you gain will be shared gladly around here. :bassist:
  17. jonesn4bass

jonesn4bass

Hi Guys -

Thanks for all the input!

I put the threaded saddles on the other bridge last night. The adjustment screws don't quite fit in the tracks (the vintage saddles are a little smaller overall) so they go on a tad crooked. I think with some finessing I should be able to get it adjusted properly.

We shall see!
  18. walterw

i'd take the slight polepiece misalignment over crooked saddles that didn't fit in the tracks.
  19. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Yeah, they. Don't work. Pull them and go back to the stock and drop the OCD. ;)

Maybe you can re-align the neck and get it closer too
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  20. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Good idea about neck alignment. That's an easy correction and often overlooked.
  21. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

That's funny. I have the same bridge on my MIM Jazz and P basses and they align perfectly with the regular 5 hole Fender pattern!