1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Help find the color.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gimp, Dec 13, 2012.

1. gimp

gimp

Jan 13, 2011
    Odenton, MD
    I'm trying to restore a bass back to it's original color. Can someone tell me what the color name is, and if a vendor like reranch carries it (they have quite a few "whites")?

Example of the color:
    [​IMG]

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Hard to tell from the pic but I'll go Vintage White. It's too off-white to be Olympic.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. benc

benc

Jan 29, 2002
    Houston, TX
    It looks like a Fender MIM. Is that right? What are the first three digits of the serial number?

5. I think it IS Olympic White. I have a 2008 MIA Jazz in Oly White and the color looks pretty much the same as this pic.

6. gimp

gimp

Jan 13, 2011
    Odenton, MD
    The body is the only original part and it is a MIM (the picture above is an example shot - not the actual bass).

7. gimp

gimp

Jan 13, 2011
    Odenton, MD
    It was my first "real" bass that has been modified and upgraded (and sometimes downgraded) over the past 15 years. I'm trying to bring the body/pickguard back to the original look (right now it's rattle can black).

8. benc

benc

Jan 29, 2002
    Houston, TX
    If MIM, it is definitely Arctic White.

9. gimp

gimp

Jan 13, 2011
    Odenton, MD
    Awesome! Thank you very much!

10. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

Feb 3, 2012
    S/E Michigan
    one other option you have is to take it to a local bodyshop supply business. if they supply and mix paint for bodyshops they will, probably, have an optical scanner that "looks" at the finish. it will then spit out a formula so they can match what you have.

whoops i didn't read every post. you would need to sand a spot down to the original color for the scanner to work

11. gimp

gimp

Jan 13, 2011
    Odenton, MD
    While I have your ear, what color pickguard would that be? White or parchment?

12. benc

benc

Jan 29, 2002
    Houston, TX
    If it was made before 2001:
    Part No. 0037737000 Pickguard, P Bass Mexico, White/Black/White

2001 and later:
    0058261000 Pickguard, P Bass Mexico, White/Black/White

:)

13. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    arctic white is my first guess

14. gimp

gimp

Jan 13, 2011
    Odenton, MD
    1995. That's awesome. Thank you!

15. benc

benc

Jan 29, 2002
    Houston, TX
    My pleasure. I cut and pasted the pickguard info from the service diagrams on the Fender site. Yours is this one. You may have a tough time finding those 1990's Standard Series parts. I searched for your pickguard and couldn't find it for sale anywhere. The 2001 guard or any 13-hole guard should work fine, though. :)

16. gimp

gimp

Jan 13, 2011
    Odenton, MD
    Yeah, I was searching and didn't find much. It's good to hear that any 13 hole unit will work. I assume bright white is pretty much the color. I don't need it to be 100%, but I am nostalgic for the way the body used to look.