1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help finding right cab volume for drivers.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by whatisacup, Jan 7, 2013.

1. whatisacup

whatisacup

I'm trying to do my first DIY cab build with 4 drivers I have laying around.

When I look at Eminence specs, they give recommended volume.

These are the 4 drivers I have:

http://www.usspeaker.com/faital%20pro%20w10n8-200-1.htm

Can someone help with recommended volume? I'm thinking of building some kind of tall, somewhat vertical 4x10. :help:

2. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

Sealed or ported? You might want to make two 2x10s.

Vas is a good starting point to estimate volume, then go from there - Start looking at around 1 cubic foot per driver. Model in WinISD. Modify from there.

3. whatisacup

whatisacup

I should have specified. I want a ported cab.

I'm new to WinISD, so if it's possible, some parameters like the ones Eminence gives would help.

4. Tuned

Tuned

The T-S parameters are on the US Speaker page you posted. I second the idea of two 2x10 cabs as well.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. whatisacup

whatisacup

I guess I'm not seeing them. Where are they located? Are they the (Vas)?

What's the advantage of (2) 2x10's?

7. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

While a vert. 410 stack would be great for sound it will be a bear to move.

8. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    The EBP works out to 162 and Qts of .35. It would pretty much have to be ported.

Quite nice looking driver though. Get it into a box modeling program and optimize the design.

9. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

Yes, it is a nice driver. I wish that I had 4 of them lying around...

10. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

You can't design a box around the Vas. That's the speaker's 'equivalent volume', not a design goal.

11. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

Never said that it was a design goal. Just a ballpark number to get you into the ballpark and start plugging into WinISD, and modify volume from there. Do you have a better number to use as a starting point?

12. RS66LB

RS66LB

great job at telling him he's wrong, why didn't you follow through with a few more lines for explanation as to what he should do to achieve proper internal volume relative to the particulars of a given driver?

13. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Prolly found them washed up on the beach there in between the crate of Carcano's and the bundles of coke.:D

14. RS66LB

RS66LB

Personally I thought your advice was pretty decent, what I don't understand is why it was easier for 1958Bassman to tell you how your statement was flawed yet offer no corrective information. Anyway thanks for attempting to help Whatisacup and have a great day.

15. whatisacup

whatisacup

Anyway.........

Would 1.25 sq ft per driver be a good start for (2) 2 10's?:meh:

16. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

36.9 liters (internal volume) for each 2 speaker chamber. 69.4 Hz tuning frequency.
    1.303 cu.ft.(internal volume) Vent tube 5.5" diam. round, 6" long

17. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

I got a lot of help from reading talkbass, so I try to give back. Anyway, he probably didn't read my post closely before he answered.

18. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

Ha ha. Lol.

19. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

yah 1.25 is a large volume for this driver that would be almost a Extended bass shelf. You get more bass by putting the speaker in a larger volume and tuning below Fs of the driver.
    but all that extra bass is 3db lower than the rest of the response so it looks like a shelf when you look at the response chart.

around .6 cubic and 60hz tune would be BB4 alignment. little lacking in bass.

60hz is little high resonant frequency would be nice to tune below it. but even going 5hz below it a response shelf starts to appear right away.

So I would stay with the BB4 tuning and stay right on the Fs of the driver at 60hz. going higher in the 65 to 70hz tuning is rather annoying for bass.

As far as volume adding a little more than .6 would give a little extra bass at around .8 then just tune to 60hz.

.8 is really close to 1 cubic if you did just tune slightly higher to about 63/64 hz.

its really a compromise trying to increase volume as much as possible before a major shelf starts to appear. likewise with the tuning its already a high resonant frequency so dont wanna "flatten" the response by tuning to high or create a huge shelf by tuning to low. so instead of having a huge 3dB shelf, only have a slight 1dB shelf. but the tune is pretty much set 60hz is already high. Could also tune lower to 55hz but then lower the volume back to .6 cubic to tame down the shelf a bit. confused yet?

so easy

.8 at 60hz
    1cubic at 64hz
    .6 at 55hz