Help finding the right fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Guinness20, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Guinness20

Guinness20

Hi all :)

I'm in the market for a fuzz pedal. I play in quite a loud band, and we play all kinds of stuff, from the chain, to saturday night - even hot stuff :eyebrow:

I love the sounds of the tall font russian and the musket, but I'm worried that I might get lost in the mix. So I think I want something that cuts through the mix a bit more - but I think something like the Darkglass duality might be a bit too much the other way - it sounds insane! Is there a good middle ground?

Oh, and the MXR BFD is a no go - played it briefly and it's not for me.

I've only been making the decision harder for myself by looking at more pedals - I don't want to become a collector! Any help would be much appreciated :D
  2. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

Smallsound/bigsound Team Awesome Fuzz Machine. And there's a sale going on right now.
  3. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

Some people have experienced getting lost in the mix with Big Muff clones. It has a somewhat scooped mid sound that can be overwhelmed by guitar. I think it really depends on what you guitar player is doing tone wise. If you like the muff sound and are concerned about mids, there are a couple of solutions. I have a TFR with wet/dry blend that helps preserve some mids and adds punch. (Big muffs have a softer, woolier sound.) You can also use a blender pedal. You can put an eq in front of the fuzz. I have a EWS BMC that is great for adding mids. The musket has a built-in mid control. This is a great feature IMO. You should also check out a Fuzzrocious Grey Stache, another excellent muff clone.

From the songs you list, I would say the muff would be a good choice as it is a classic. Are you looking or tight or wooly? Middy or bassy? Cut through a very dense mix or support one? Is there a lot of distorted guitar? Are you using drop tunings?

An excellent modern sounding fuzz is the Small Tone Big Tone Team Awesome Fuzz Machine. It is a very versatile pedal: clean volume, fuzz volume, mid control, and lots of gain staging knobs. (You will here it referred to as the TAFM around here.)
  4. Guinness20

Guinness20

Thanks guys! :)

BFunk - there is a lot of distorted guitar, we move between standard tuning and drop D, don't think I like wooly - I currently play a Epi Thunderbird Classic, and I don't think muddy and wooly would sound all that.

Maybe then I look at either the musket because of the mids, or the tfr with an EQ.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I would look at the TAFM. This is a great pedal. I had one a loved it. I sold it only because I wanted something a little more classic sounding. In the vein of muff fuzzes, you should also look at the Sanford and Sonny Blue Beard and the Gray Stache I already mentioned.
  7. Guinness20

Guinness20

Thanks BFunk for the suggestions, just need to try them out if I can!

BTW does anybody know anything about the Magnetic Effects Buzzkill fuzz?
  8. Guinness20

Guinness20

Or the El Oso?
  9. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

You won't be lost in the mix with the Musket. TFR probably, Musket no. If you want a fuzz with less muff-style fullness and more edge that really cuts, Team Awesome! Fuzz Machine can't go wrong.

For El Oso and some of your other mentions, check out Eyeballkid's posts in this thread (p.2):
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/fuzzquest-got-some-insight-1036517/
  10. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

A pedal that doesn't get the traction it might is the Bazz Fuss. It's a DIY and by all accounts a cool choice.
  11. Guinness20

Guinness20

eyeballkid and says the TAFM is synthy - it may cut through well, but I'm not looking for that kind of sound.

As he know his stuff, maybe I just get the musket and up the mids on my amp.

When he says that the TFR is thick, what does he mean?
  12. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

The Musket has a midrange dial that should help you pop through a mix.
  13. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

The TAFM, esp with the gate, is synthy as its main sound, but it's a versatile pedal that can do a more organic sound, too. There's no low end loss, it's just not full or thick like a muff. "Thick" means a big, full low end; "creamy" is also a term used a lot with big muff fuzzes. Because of the big low end, they tend to not have much in the mid range, which is the frequency that helps you cut through a heavy guitar mix. For me the Musket is a good, thick fuzz that has some specific features that compensate and help it cut, like the mids control, the focus (which adjusts how much low end is distorted), and a pre-gain control that gives extra drive and sustain. There are plenty of other fuzzes that cut more, but most of them get away from the muff style.
  14. Guinness20

Guinness20

I need to have a proper look at the TAFM, but I think the Musket is for me. Thanks for all your help!
  15. Guinness20

Guinness20

Ooh, what about the cog effects tarkin fuzz? I could order a custom one with a mids control and a clean blend. How would that rate against the musket? Also a consideration is that I will be at times combining the fuzz with od (probs darkglass?Mp blueberry). Does that change anything? Though it seems unlikely I'll be going for the tfr now, I originally considered it after hearing this clip of it with the b3k - soundcloud.com/bigbassbob/girltfrb3k
  16. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

I'm currently using the Musket Fuzz in My Stoner/Doom/Psychedelic power trio....the mid knob is quite magical and if you run it through a clean blend and dial in just a bit of the original signal it's divine

I like the overall muff sound myself

In the past Six Years i have tried

Original Big Muff
    Bass Big Muff
    MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe
    EA Super Collider
    PE Depth Charge
    Mountain King Megalith
    DMB Bass Bumble
    MASF Starry Wisdom
    Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
    3xfx Fatman
    Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz
    Devi Ever Soda Meiser
    Tech 21 Red Ripper
    MXR El Grande
    Devi Ever Godzilla
    Malekko B Assmaster

i prefer the Musket and the Bumble with the Megalith and the Depth Charge coming in close behind....

but seriously a nice blend pedal will do you worlds of wonder....i just snagged one of these on the cheap and love it!!

[​IMG]

has a defeatable buffer and a polarity reverse switch....which can create some interesting twists to the sound of your existing pedals...
  17. Guinness20

Guinness20

Sorry for sounding like such a noob, but I know very little about stuff like that - cringe as I say it but what does it do?

I do love the tfr, and though it's mid scooped, when combined with the b3k wouldn't the b3k's mids sort that? Then again, there are times when I'll be using just the fuzz by itself, and in my current band I play with two distorted guitars, with the rhythm often playing the same line as me - in which case I'd be utterly lost! So it's musket the or a custom tarkin then.
  18. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

It's a blend pedal when you put a Fuzz (or Distortion or Overdrive) into it's loop it allows you to blend you original bass signal with that of the Fuzz...so you can have the creamy fuzz sound and your original signal at the same time

thought it doesn't actually work like this...imagine three glasses in your mind...glass on the left has a nice dark creamy stout...glass on the right has a bubbly fizzy pale ale...glass in the middle is empty...sometimes you want just the stout, or sometimes just the pale ale when the stout is too heavy....and sometimes you blend the two together to make a nice black and tan...best of both worlds...that's what a blender will do for you...lol...it's like running two amps at the same time!! one clean.... one dirty

the one i posted is fairly inexpensive and has a very small footprint ($120.00) it has a Buffer that can be bypassed and it has a polarity reverse switch which when engaged changes the way most pedals sound and behave...adding a new dimension to your sound...

also look at the DMB Bumble it has a clean blend built in and will absolutely cut through a dense mix!!
  19. Guinness20

Guinness20

Brilliant description, thank you so much! I fear that a lot of people around here would've jumped at the chance to tear me to shreds :bag: That's definitely an option - so there's the tfr, which can have a clean blend, the musket which I'd use the buffer with, the custom tarkin which could have a clean blend or the bumble.
  20. spufman

spufman Supporting Member

Another vote for the TAFM. It's the first (of numerous) fuzzes I've used that slices through with balls and definition.
  21. Guinness20

Guinness20

Don't like the synthy sound of the tafm