Help fixing a router template...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MattS, Jan 8, 2013.

1. MattS

MattS

Hello,
    I'm a bass player, I mostly do bass stuff, but I do work on guitars from time to time so I hope I don't get too much crap for this, but... I'm modding a Gibson Marauder guitar for a friend. I'm making a new pickguard for it fit for two humbuckers (Marauders are usually angled single coil in the bridge and humbucker in the neck). I used the old pickguard as the guide for making the template out of MDF. When I cut out the neck pickup for some reason my table router chewed off a little bit of the old pickguard (crazy p*ssed off/super bummed, but my client doesn't seem too bothered if at all) and messed up one of the corners of my template. So I took a little chunk of MDF and cut it as close to shape as possible and glued it in to fill that gouge. Now I need to re-cut/re-route that corner but make sure it all lines up with the previous attempt. I hope this makes sense.
    Anyone got any tips on repairing router templates OR routing only part of the area while the other areas stay lined up? I have another pickguard with a humbucker I was thinking about using that my guide to make this template, just seeing if there's anything special I can do to be certain that it lines up right. I got a couple ideas already, but I figured I'd ask here.
    No, I probably won't consider buying a template from stewmac. I don't think I have time for that.
  2. ON the ONE

ON the ONE Supporting Member

Two ideas.
    One is, apply thin layer of CA and when its dry, scuff the surface and add another layer of CA then repeat with several thin layers of glue till the void is overfilled. Then hand sand to the desired profile. This works great on mdf.
    Idea 2 :
    If the pick guard is plastic, shave material of the desired color from a hidden area of the pick guard and put some shavings in a small quantity of acetone. Small quantity. After 30 seconds or so, the plastic will soften into a paste that can be formed into the missing chunk of pick guard. Make sure everything especially the shavings are super clean. Also brush acetone onto the spot you will be filling. The plastic guard and the paste should cure back into one unit. If the guard is more than one ply, fill accordingly. Test all of this on scrap for sure.
    Best of luck!
  3. ON the ONE

ON the ONE Supporting Member