Help for analysing bass player

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by joecoote, Feb 11, 2013.

1. joecoote

joecoote

I have recently joined a jazz course (god knows how I got on) but for one assessment we have to analyse a bass player and pick two to three songs. However I am not sure what bass played to analyse, I had Paul Chambers as an idea but some of his bass lines are pretty complex. What would people recommend I analyse? I am pretty lost and new to jazz transcription so any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. the_stone

the_stone

First, filling out your profile would give people a much clearer idea of your level of experience, and would allow answers better suited to you individually.

That said, if you're a brand-new beginner to jazz, there's really no 1 bass player that has "easier" lines than any others. There's quite a number of threads on this forum regarding major jazz bassists, and Paul Chambers is definitely one to listen to (as is Ray Brown, Ron Carter, Jimmy Blanton, Oscar Pettiford, Red Mitchell, Scott Lafaro, etc...).

If you have access to the album "Study In Brown," there's a tune on there called "Sandu" where George Morrow's basslines are pretty clear and easy to hear.