1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help for Bass practice amp!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by evilchobg, Jan 21, 2014.

1. evilchobg

evilchobg

Hi. I am looking for a practice amp(home, small gig, rehearsal) max 30W. I really wish the speaker is 10'' but my price range is tops 150 euro(~200$). I really want to see new ones and then i`ll dig for 2nd hand. I like Acoustic but they are US brand only :X

So I have some stuff on the list, let me toss em out :

Orange Crush PiX 25BX
    Hartke B200
    Marshall MB15
    Ampeg BA108
    Warwick BC 20
    Fender Rumble 15

I am just tossing suggestions here. My bass is Fender Modern Player Jazz Bass if it matters at all.

2. Linnin

Linnin

New Fender Rumbles Are Coming! Hold out for the new Rumble 40 {watt} 1x10 combo. :)

3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Out of the little affordable practice amps, I prefer the Ampeg because it sounds like a real amp, not a piece of junk. I used to work next to a GC and tried'em all. The Ampeg put a smile on my face.

:smug:

4. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo

I would have to vote for the Ampeg. Just started playing Bass in September, played drums for a good few years, but the wife likes to play drums sometimes too, so got tired of just watching and listening. Picked up a Squier Jaguar SS and an Ampeg BA108, great for practicing, and can even be heard with our regular guitar player (Epiphone and 50 watt Line 6) and the wife on drums. CD/MP3 player compatible, headphones are nice for late night practice. But from what I hear, and think it's within your price range, maybe the BA110?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MakoMan

MakoMan

Of the ones on your list, I'd go with the Ampeg too. It has enough volume for acoustic jams and practice. If you need to keep up with a drummer in rehearsal it at least has a line out you can run to a PA or a second amp.
    Honestly, at the $99 price they sell them for here in Canada the BA108 is a steal. Great budget practice amp.

7. evilchobg

evilchobg

I forgot to mention that I live in a dorm and go around with it to my guitar player`s dorm to do small jam sessions before studio band practices(we do band practises in a studio so I use the surround system there - I do not use the combo with drums, only with other guitars) but I don't have a car so I need it to be no more then 10kg... It's hell carrying my gear on public transportation and a cabinet over this is just hell. I am not a bulky guy :( Also wi

8. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    Another Ampeg vote, here. The other brands make great gear, but those models sound like toys. The Ampeg won't get real loud, but sounds like an Ampeg doing it. The BA110 is even a better choice if you can handle the added weight and cost.

9. evilchobg

evilchobg

What about the Behringer BXL series ? They are cheap and 10/12 inch speakers.

10. greggster59

greggster59 Supporting Member

Ampeg BA-108.

I think it actually sounds better than the 10 inch model. Plenty loud and sounds like an Ampeg.

11. H3nchman

H3nchman

I like my Ibanez SW35. Sounds great and they are affordable.

12. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Me too, plus you get "the sound" without shaking all the dishes in the kitchen, although you can with it.

13. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

It has been said, I am just reassuring you, Ampeg is a golden ticket.

14. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I haven't actually A/B compared the combos listed, nor have I played through all of them either, but I have played through an Ampeg BA110 and a Fender Rumble (don't remember model) and I liked them - so based on that, I'd probably go for either the Fender Rumble 15 or more likely the Ampeg BA108.

15. evilchobg

evilchobg

Hmm the AMPEG seems pretty dominant in votes. I`ll give it a try at a local shop but I am interested to see if the new V3 Rumbles are good since they are lighter cuz the ampeg is 13kg - RIP my arms.

16. Blueinred

Blueinred

New Rumbles MSRP (from Fender website):

Rumble 25 - $149.99

Rumble 40 - $249.99

17. evilchobg

evilchobg

I saw but reviews ?

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Unless you're carrying it a mile or two at a time, 13kg isn't so bad.

19. evilchobg

evilchobg

Ok i`ll consider testing the AMPEG when I have time thanks for the advices!

20. eyoyo

eyoyo Supporting Member

I loooooove my Ampeg BA108! It's so deep and Ampeg tone and very affordable.
    I have tried many combos and this one is a keeper.
    It's an amazing pratice amp!
    I had an MB30 at I didn't like and other I've tried are not as deep as the little BA108!
    Buy it without hesitation.

21. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Ampeg should be fine for your needs.