1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help From Ibby Folks-Moving from One Level to the Next

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Reddog01, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Reddog01

Reddog01

I play a SR300, and I am generally satisfied with it. I do know that I prefer playing the Ibanez basses because of the way they feel in my hand. Here's my question: I know the the SR300 is basically an entry-level bass. What model in the SR series would be considered to be in the middle-level category? After reading all that I can, it looks like I would need to move to at least the SR500 or higher to get anything of significance in improvement of quality/playablity.
  2. Bulldawg82

Bulldawg82 Supporting Member

An SR500 would be an excellent mid-range bass. If you can find an older SR800 or 905, those would put you in an "upper-midrange" class for the cost of a new SR500.
  3. PimasterPearson

PimasterPearson

Agreed on the SR500 being a great mid-level Ibanez. I love mine, it's an incredibly comfortable and stable bass.
  4. aproud1

aproud1 Hit that long lunar note, and let it float. Gold Supporting Member

The sr900 and 1000 basses are excellent and can usually be found used for less than a new 500. The 500's are great too as are the 700's
  5. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Agreed 100% - the sr900 series were great basses... IMO/IME, anything sr500 and up will be pretty good...

- georgestrings
  6. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah

If you dig the soapbar ones with the 3-band preamp, yes an Ibanez SR500 and up would be an excellent jump in quality. The newer ones have a mid-frequency switch that is pretty handy. Necks feel awesome, bodies are nice and light, and the it's got a great tone and flexibility to it.

If I had to pick a company I'd want an endorsement deal with for basses, it would be Ibanez.
  7. ZenG

ZenG

I just did what you are about to do...

I had an SR300......had absolutely nothing against it.

Personally I happen to like the "light" feel of Ibby SR's..

They are balanced pretty good....very little neck dive and easy on the "trap" muscles if you play standing up for awhile.

Liked the onboard EQ very much.

I like the fast necks.......

I went for the SR500.......simply because I wanted to go up the ladder a bit.

Some people say the Bartolini pups in the SR500 are "low end".....I didn't think so...they sound good to me

I guess people can argue til hell freezes over about tones, sounds,etc etc etc.

I like my SR500......between the amp EQ's and the onboard guitar EQ's I can pretty much dial in any sound I want.

The Sr300 in and of itself was pretty damn good for the money though as well......two thumbs up.....
  8. verycoolname

verycoolname

SR500 and up is where it's at.

The SR500-SR800 are pretty much the same (regarding pickups/EQ), albeit with different top woods. I have an SR600, and it's a killer mid-level bass...should cost a lot more than it does, IMO. You can get them used for even less.

The Premium line of basses (SR1200E-SR1600E) are the same type of deal. They all have the Nordstrand pickups, but with different woods used in construction. They're also more expensive and higher end.

And, finally, there's the Prestige line (SR4000E-SR5000E). These have USA Bart pickups, and (again) the only real difference between the models is the wood used.

Sounds like you're looking for the SR500-SR800 line. They're great middle of the road basses...they're great basses period. If you want the best value I'd go for an SR500 or SR600...unless you just have to have the fancy top woods and gloss finishes.
  9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Skip the medium grade and go to premium, I do not know about your market but I live in a fairly small area and I can find used SR premiums all day long for as much, if not less, than a 700-900 series.
  10. ZenG

ZenG

DiabolusInMusic:-

Whereabouts?

In a music store? Kijiji? Craigslist?
  11. verycoolname

verycoolname

12. ZenG

ZenG

I think the high end Ibyy's have "custom" Bartolini's,

said to be individually "hand made"..

whereas the mid Ibby's have a MK1 Bart that is production made.....but IMO still very good...

The Sr300 did not have "Bart's" in it.....

Where I live (Pac Northwest,Can.)...I almost NEVER see used Ibby's of any kind for sale in the local surrounding-area classifieds.....
  13. Reddog01

Reddog01

I just got back from spending about three hours looking at basses. I ended up getting an SR700, new for $414.00. I got the tech to set it up for me, and I'm ready to go!
  14. aproud1

Cool man. Great bass. But... no pics, no bass. :)
  15. Reddog01

Reddog01

I'll give it a try.

Attached Files:

16. aproud1

Thats a beauty. How do you like it? Especially compared to your 300?
  17. verycoolname

verycoolname

Steal for that bass, congrats! :bassist:
  18. Reddog01

Reddog01

It was really weird. I went into my local GC to look at the SR500 and a couple of other models in other brands. All of them played very well, and the SR500 was marked down to $449.00 I kept going back to three particular models, playing them through the same make amp (GK MB115) that I have at home. This particular GC has three tiers of basses hanging on their walls. I looked up at the top tier, and noticed an Ibby with a clearance tag on it for $414.00 I asked the guy, who had been helping, me what model it was, and he wasn't sure. He got the ladder over to the area, climbed up to get it, and said, "It's an SR700." It must have been up high on the wall for a while (considering how much it had been marked down), and I started playing it. It seemed to need a little adjustment, so they took it to the tech, and he raised the bridge slightly and made a small adjustment to the truss rod. I took it back and played it some more. It has the same feel that my SR300 had, but much improved pickups and it looks beautiful with the wood finish. My SR300 was still under the 60-day trade-in period, so I made the trade. I walked out spending around $225.00 with my trade-in and buying a three-year warranty. I'm sure that I got a great deal, and this bass should do what I want it to do for a while.

Question: Tell me what the 2-way mid frequency switch is supposed to do. I can't hear any audible difference when I flip it.
  19. verycoolname

verycoolname

:eek:

I am...I am so incredibly happy for you! :hyper:

And also extremely jealous...:mad:

:D

And, according to Ibanez's site it changes the mid frequency from 250Hz to 600Hz...

[​IMG]

And then there's this graph...

[​IMG]

In all honesty, I couldn't tell any differences when I flipped it either...maybe we have bad ears. :meh:
  20. ZenG

ZenG

I could certainly notice it when I flipped that switch on my SR500........quite noticeable.

More spike at one setting....less at the other.....

Then again it could also have to do with what EQ settings you have on the guitar and the amp at the same time..