1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Help - Got an Acoustic Show, but.....

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by DanBass, Feb 20, 2013.

1. DanBass

DanBass Supporting Member

So I found out recently that my band is playing a show that is being broadcasted on a local radio show in my area.. Ok, pretty neat, not a huge station, but should still be fun.

However it is an acoustic show.. I am downsizing my gear due to my wife not working, so getting an acoustic bass (again, I just literally got rid of the one I had) is not an option.

So I have few questions.

1) Is it acceptable to plug in at a lower volume and use my electric.

2) Is there a small amp on the nice side of $100 (stop laughing) that will do the trick?

HOWEVER - I have a small vintage 70's Ampeg with a 10" driver, but it is blown..

Would replacing the 10" be cheaper? And if someone could recomend a decent yet inexpensive speaker to get in there, I would be appreciative!

Thanks as always!

2. bassteban

bassteban

If an ABG or DB is out, then I say all *acoustic* rules are also out, as far as the bass goes. Run the smallest amp you can get you r hands on and keep the volume where it needs to be. You're the bass player, no one will notice. ;)

3. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

I can't give you any advice on the Amp but you would be amazed how many Bassists play an Electric Bass at Acoustic Shows. You would have to amplify an acoustic bass anyway as they are not loud enough compared to Acoustic Guitars. I wouldn't worry about it.

4. DanBass

In the event that I change out the blown speaker (10") in the ampeg, what is the replacement I should be looking for?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

If any of your guitar players (or their friends) have a little Fender Princeton with reverb see if you can borrow that. I used to play through one for acoustic shows and it was divine. Otherwise, talk to the engineer to get you DI'd into the desk. There's thousands of albums out there recorded like that.

7. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Supporting Member

I'd find out first if they are going to mic the band or have you all direct in a board. I've always been direct to the board wearing headphones for monitoring as were my guitarists and the drummer used a cajon, bongos or congas. Once we did a full drum set with brushes, but again we were direct. If it's a live performance in which they will shoot video and don't want you in headphones, I got a Fender Frontman 15B off CL for $25 once. You could probably ask around, get a rental for the day, etc. Don't overthink.

8. Mushroo

Mushroo

Two mutually-contradictory suggestions:

1. You should be able to rent a student-level acoustic bass at a reasonable cost.
    2. Play electric through a DI into the board, no amp required.

9. jefkritz

jefkritz

yep. as has been said, it seems like most 'acoustic' shows still have amplified bass. i.e. fix that speaker!

10. DanBass

Thanks to everyone for the insight!

11. jmoorewright

jmoorewright

I have nothing to add, all my suggestions have been made already...

So, let us know how the gig goes!

12. RonniePudding

RonniePudding

+1 ^^

If it is literally an acoustic show, and your bandmates are not plugging in, (i.e., everything is mic'd) -- then your volume will be so low that pretty much any little combo amp, even one for guitar/keyboard, should work fine.

I have a little, orange Roland Cube keyboard combo from the late 80's that I use for playing with unamplified acoustic players. I'd lend it to you if you weren't in PA...

13. Sollie7

Sollie7 Supporting Member

Get the original speaker reconed

14. Keithwah

Keithwah Supporting Member

From a collectable value standpoint, reconing the original driver is preferred. From a performance standpoint, you might look at picking up a 10" from Carvin. They market some decent drivers all in all. Not sure who actually makes them for Carvin, but for the money they do the job and will take far more abuse than the original.

15. Staredge

Staredge

Guitar Center 30 day return policy?????

:bag:

16. Nagrom

Nagrom

I did a radio gig last summer while on tour... we plugged guitar, keys, and bass into a single deluxe reverb, sang acoustically, drummer did brushes on a snare with a towel over it... they DO NOT want anything resembling loud there!

17. DanBass

BANG!!!
    :ninja:

18. DanBass

Yeah, the room is smallish, and the situation does not call for a wall of sound, I agree. :D

I would have to think going direct is an option.. If not, I have a month to get that speaker replaced in that old Ampeg.. It's a good excuse to get it up and running again.

19. jaywa

jaywa

Electric bass is fine.

Unless this is a pure bluegrass gig where electric bass still doesn't always get the warmest welcome.

IME and opinion, unamplified ABGs are worthless so from an audibility perspective it doesn't much matter if it's that or a solidbody (although there are significant tonal differences between the two).

A small guitar amp will do you fine if you don't have a bass amp ready to roll.

20. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

I've been on both sides of the glass in broadcast.

Most broadcast engineers are super crushed for time and will not be working towards the nth degree of tone. What matters most is to hand them a signal that doesn't have any problems. Radio stations are surprisingly simple from a console perspective, if you go into the main "air" console, you're into something that doesn't have any eq or effects included. Many radio stations will use something like a Mackie as an outboard mixer for a band show. Once again, pretty simple stuff is what they have.

Also, most radio studios are an adventure to get to. Buried deep in a building, or downtown or something that will make you hate the schlepp.

Anything you can do to be bombproof is the right thing. Ask in advance if they will be providing a headphone feed to you. If they are, then stick with a DI. If not, then a little combo is the ticket, together with a method for giving them a direct feed. Be prepared to feed them on XLR.

As far as a bass - electric is more than fine unless you're into 'grass or a genre that doesn't tolerate an electric. The ideal electric is one that is well shielded.

21. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member