Help! How do I measure for bridge location on new body fender "P" bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by muddog, Nov 11, 2012.

1. muddog

muddog

I have a 1972 Fender P bass project. never had a body. I just bought one with no bridge holes. what is the accurate to measure and install the bridge, it is stock standard neck.
    Thanks!!

2. Tedward

Tedward Supporting Member

I just measured my P bass. From the fret board side of the nut to the back of the bridge it is 895mm (35 1/4'), That's if you are using a stock Fender bridge. It is 889mm,(35 1/16") to the center of the screw head of the bridge. I hope this helps.

Tedward

3. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

The scale is measured from the nut to the saddle. Measuring my Fender Jazz, nut to saddle on the G string is almost exactly 34". E string is about 34 3/4". Set up the saddles to these numbers with some play on either side and it won't matter what kind of bridge you use or the size of the base.

4. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

The breaking point on the G string saddle should be 17 inches away from the 12th fret for a 34" scale bass. Make sure that the G saddle is almost as far forward as it can go when you're measuring, too.

Once the bridge is at the right distance, I draw a line where the front of the bridge has to be. Then I use a string to check alignment and tape it in place when I'm happy.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

there you go; intonated properly, the G will be almost exactly at the nominal scale length (maybe 1/16" further away) and the other saddles will be further away from the neck.

nominal scale length will be from the leading edge of the nut to the center of the 12th fret, doubled. (so 17" x2 for 34" in the case of fender)