1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help! - I feel I am in a bit of a rut..

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Andy Mopley, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Ever get to the situation that the amount of material to be practised is greater than the time you have? And so, you end up practising a little bit of everything but never enough of the one thing? If so, how do you get around this? Is it better to have one element - say practising string crossing - for a week then alternate with say thumb position playing for another and then going back to string crossing? Or does it make more sense to practice one in one day and then the next - eg breaking down to manageable chunks?
    Goal - to play as best I can
    Teacher - none at present
    Books - Simandl, Nanny, Vance, Rabbath 1
    Time available to practice - 1 hour or so / day
    Grateful for any advice - You bet!
  2. bassist1962

bassist1962

If I am learning a couple new things, I alternate days. Eventually you can start bringing things together and practice simultaneously. EG - practice string crossing on day one, thumb position on day two alternating til you are comfortable with each. Then start string crossing while playing in thumb position. This is the eventual goal anyway when you think about it.