1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help ID my bass. Ebay Mystery

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BASSinyaFASS, Feb 14, 2014.

1. BASSinyaFASS

BASSinyaFASS

I bought this bass on ebay. It is incredible. It is much much nicer than I had anticipated it being. Trouble is the seller didn't know who made it. I can't seem to find anything under the obvious google searches. It came from California and he said he thinks it came from a luthier in the san Francisco area. Any help would be great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. joeeg33

joeeg33 Supporting Member

Don't know who built it. But, it does look like he used a carvin neck thru blank for the build.
  3. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

Carruther's?
  4. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

Great looking bass btw.
  5. JustForSport

JustForSport

Very nice looking bass!
    Clean elec cavity, also,
    and a solid bridge (needs a saddle screw, tho).
    If it sounds as good as it looks, that's a winner!
  6. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson

Disclosures:
    Professional Luthier
    That "C" on the brass plate looks just like the signature on Clevinger basses. Martin Clevinger is mostly known for his electric uprights, but yours may be a very early electric bass by him. Martin has a long history, look him up. He may be interested to know about it.
  7. BASSinyaFASS

BASSinyaFASS

Wow that does look similar!. I emailed them right away. Thanks for the feedback everyone I'll update.
  8. bassie12

bassie12

Nice bass! I saw the auction and was wary of bidding due to lack of information.. I'm glad it turned out to be a good instrument!:bassist:
  9. BASSinyaFASS

BASSinyaFASS

Never heard back from clevinger. The mystery continues
  10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I wouldn't worry a lot about it. It's beautiful, and if it plays great, that's all you need.
  11. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Since nobody knows anything about this bass you have an opportunity to make up a really cool backstory and no one can challenge it. Be creative. Nice instrument by the way.
  12. corinpills

corinpills

That's really beautiful wood on that body. What is that? The grain is really nice.
  13. BASSinyaFASS

BASSinyaFASS

Not sure the wood type. It's not a huge deal to find out the maker, I'm just curious and would like to buy another if they exist.
  14. Boom762

Boom762 Hartke Whore - I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

The pickups say samash? Makes me think its a Carlo Robelli. That was there rabnd i believe
  15. Swerve

Swerve

16. BASSinyaFASS

BASSinyaFASS

The pups are EMG selects. And thanks for the link to the database I'll be checking that out.
  17. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Got any pictures inside the control cavity? There might be a signature or something similar under the truss rod cover that could help with ID'ing this.