Help ID this old bass (60s Japan?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DanAdams, Nov 4, 2013.

1. DanAdams

DanAdams

Hi. this is my first post here, I hope the pics work.

So I picked up this bass on ebay super cheap thinking it would just be a cool wall decoration, it was pretty trashed and still seemed to have the original strings on it (three left and completely tarnished)
    There are no names or holes or scratches where a name may have been.
    It had obvious problems that seemed mostly like poor quality control at the factory. The biggest problem was the strings were not centered on the neck as if the neck was not attached or straight. I ended up switching out the old two saddle bridge for a cheap 4 saddle bridge I had kicking around, and I moved the bridge location so the strings would be centered on the neck. I thought this would be much easier than dicking around with the neck.
    It's nice that it has the bridge cover, this way it still looks original.
    The neck seems to be made of a maple ply laminate as seen on the headstock picture.
    I did not remove the neck. Many years ago I messed stuff up with a neck so I now I won't remove one just to satisfy my curiousity.
    there is no real nut, but a loose wooden string guide setting up the strings to sit on a fret were a nut usually is.
    Once I got strings on it the D string buzzed when open so I ended up putting a thin layer on solder on the 'nut fret' thus rising it enough so an open D does not buzz.

I plays surprisingly well.
    just by the looks of it I'll bet it came from that Jappan Gakki Factory, but I'm not sure.
    Has any one seen one like this? Orgins? years?

Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. DanAdams

DanAdams

3. FloridaSam

FloridaSam

[​IMG]

I dig it! The headstock reminds me of sloth.
  4. Crater

Crater

I had a Teisco guitar that was a Vox Phantom copy. It had that same "80 pieces of laminate" neck, and a zero fret.

I wonder if someone made their own body and stuck the Teisco hardware and neck on to it. My Teisco had a plywood body too, that looks like a nice single piece of mahogany. I've never seen a vintage Japanese guitar with a nice natural wood finish like that.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    +1

DIY parts bass of Japanese parts and home-made body/pickquard.
  7. DanAdams

DanAdams

OK, I'll believe that, but it's no home made pickgaurd. it has factory bends all around, and when I took off a knob I could see just a little bit of a plastic sheathing that I believe at one time must have covered the pick gaurd.
    Also if it was a custom pick gaurd they probably would have made something more suited to the shape of the bass.
  8. jakelly

jakelly

9. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

looks homemade to me...take the neck off what year is it.
  10. cdef

cdef

This "Gemini" is the closest I've found to a match:

][​IMG]

The pickguard and pickup look the same, at least. There's no telling
    who made these, but I'd maybe guess Guyatone. Some of the
    early Kent and Domino imports that they supplied have very
    similar features.

It kind of looks like the headstock has been reshaped and converted
    to 3+1. The G tuner seems to be mounted upside down.
  11. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Looking at the fit of the pickguard compared to the body shape, I would say it's not original. Nobody would design an original pickguard to be that far off. It may be a factory made piece but would wager not on this bass. I agree with the DIY opinion.
  12. DanAdams

DanAdams

thanks cdef, that is absolutly the pickgaurd, that is also the bridge I had. I'm satisfied, I'll call this mystery solved.