Help ID this old (est. 20+ yrs) 410!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BioWeapon, Feb 3, 2014.

1. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

[SUB]My first actual thread! Yay! :hyper:[/SUB]
    So, a couple days ago I got a great deal on a 410. All of 150$ got me a sweet deal from a super generous bassist in Chestermere, including a boss Chorus, Flanger, and bass stand free of charge. What a nice guy he was!
    I went to grab it and the seller knew basically nothing about it - so, we inspected it a little closer, including an impedance measurement - 6.5 ohms - and checking the inside of the cab out. The cab itself is at least 20 years old - as far as the seller and I know, and has no brand markings to speak of. None. The seller mentioned he thought it might be a custom, one-off sort of thing.
    I tested it thru the seller's GK 400RB, which he said was just as old as the cab, and it sounded great. Even if it was pretty mashed up from gigging, I had to grab it.

I was hoping somebody here could help appease my curiosity and give me some information about it! It's not necessarily vital to my existance, but it would definitly be useful to know its actual power handling instead of just guessing. Here are the stats and relevant information I could gather:
    8 ohm impedance -
    Minimum 300 watt handling (didn't try to push the amp that much)
    Made in Canada! (Makes me think Traynor or Yorkville)
    Drivers are marked 465-5, wired series-parallel (I think.)
    Can be run Stereo - but the board behind has the sides bridged as if it were designed for use with another 410
    Drivers are split into two compartments vertically inside, each side has a port, around 2" diameter and 7" length, estimated.
    Printed board behind the back plate has a number on it - M1016-1.0
    Another white sticker on the back, like the one that says Made in Canada, has a partial serial number - 005084. There used to be another sticker on the top part of the back plate, but unfortunately it's gone.

Most of these things can be observed in the pictures - and speaking of pictures...

...some pictures should help! They're really quite big, as far as I can tell - I mean, they filled my laptop screen before I resized them and even now they seem really big compared to some photos I see posted... I don't want to picture spam, especially considering some of us may have slow internet. So, here's a link to all of them -> http://s995.photobucket.com/user/1BioWeapon/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140203_172744_zpsxta2ckhd.jpg.html?state=replace
    [​IMG]
  2. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid

By appearance I want to say it is a Yorkville 4x10.
  3. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

That's a much appreciated start, kind of where my suspicions lies. Unfortunately, I can't find any 410s that match this that are made by Yorkville... maybe it's just too old?
    Any other ideas? :)
    Edit: I can't find anything by Traynor that might match this cab either. Hmmm... off to find more Canadian brands to research.
  4. teemuk

teemuk

Rexx Acoustics?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

The grill is typical of circa 2000 Yorkville so it's likely a version of the y410B.
    Around 2005, Yorkville moved all their instrument amplification to the brand Traynor.
  7. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

I have an interesting lead I followed last night and I think I've discovered the make and model of this cab, yet I still have my doubts.
    I've found that this cab could possibly be a Gallien Krueger 410B.
    Here's what matches the description:
    Manufactured between 1985-1990. Check! It's supposed to be at least 20 years old.
    320 watts into 8 ohms. The 8ohms part - Check! Measured 6.5
    7-ply solid core alder - Check! I can see it in one of the photos I took.
    Approx. 65 pounds. Check! Mine weighs 67.5 on a bathroom scale.
    (These stats are stolen from Jbass1 in THIS thread. He got them straight from GK. )
    Furthermore, the backplate matches a photo I found, as well as port placement. I guess all I'm missing is a front decoration that says GK in blue and pink. Neon, of course. The only difference I could find compared to the picture is the difference in the handles. They're a bit different - probably from different years. I've also learned that GK cabs have been made in Canada before. Huh! I hope this post will serve somebody in the future (I'll be conserving these photos for future reference).
    Here are pictures that really seal the deal :hyper: :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

If you look closely at the picture of your cabinet you can see some horizontal stripes at the top where the color has faded. That could be from adhesive used for those blue and pink decorations.
  9. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

There's actually a metal bar with two foam strips sitting behind the grill there. I'm not sure how that front logo would have held there, I can only conclude that it must have been there.