Help identify a Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mimaz, Dec 27, 2013.

1. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    I am in the process of putting together a trade deal involving a 4-5 year old Fender Jazz bass. At this point, I have not seen the bass, (nor do I have any pics available). I will get to see the bass tomorrow afternoon, but I'm trying to do a bit of homework now, before I go.

The person I am trading with is not a bassist, so keep in mind that I am having a bit of a challenge getting some of the info I need.

Here's what I know so far:
    4 string Jazz, maple board, black finish
    Serial number Z8067XXX (likely a '08 or '09)
    Front of headstock simply says Fender Jazz Bass, Made in USA
    Back of headstock has serial number only

Since the back of the headstock doesn't have "American Special" or "American Deluxe" on it, is it a safe bet that this is an American Standard Jazz Bass?
  2. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

They haven't made Am Specials for that long... they only came out in 2011, I think. So, I'm pretty sure you can rule that out.

The AM Standard is passive. The AM Deluxe is active. So, that should help.

The experts could probably tell you more... there are more differences... and the neck or other components could have been changed. Need an expert opinion for that stuff.

And this all assumes it's not an MIM with the decal changed. If it's not string through, or it's got a skunk stripe on the back of the neck, or the truss adjustment is at the headstock, it's probably a MIM,
  3. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    I know a little about the guy I'm trading with, and I know where the bass was purchased, so I'm relatively certain that it is in fact a MIA...I just haven't really kept up with the recent Fender model variations over the past several years, so I'm trying to narrow it down a bit.

Honestly, I have no intention of hanging on to this bass if I get the trade together....It's just a way of helping me move out some (more) PA gear, and then I can sell/trade the bass.