help identify a speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mikerophone, Jan 18, 2014.

1. mikerophone

mikerophone

I picked up a used Acoustic 402 cabinet just the other day, and I don't think either speaker is original. One is a Gemini, but this other one doesn't have any markings at all. No serial, no info as far as I can tell. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

No expert here, but looks a good bit like an earlier EV. To my memory, I know the Gemini is not an original Acoustic used speaker, and I'm thinking that, even though great speakers, neither was the EV. Do they both work and how do they sound? :cool:
  3. mikerophone

mikerophone

it's a very boomy cab. I'm using it with an Acoustic 120 with the eq set flat, and the bass is pretty overpowering.
  4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

The motor heat sink and terminations (wire connections) are not familiar at all. Basket is somewhat generic of many makers. Any number stamped on it like XXX-XXXX?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mikerophone

mikerophone

Unless there might be some tricky placement that I overlooked, I don't think there are any numbers stamped or printed on it.
  7. mikerophone

mikerophone

You might be right, it looks like it could be an old EV Force, judging by google image search results...
  8. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Could be the cab needs some lining or stuffing. General rule is to line a vented cab and stuff a sealed one. Try bumping the upper tones halfway past flat or even further if it helps. Maybe a tad on the mids. Of course, this part is subjective to your ears. You might want to reverse what I just said and give it a listen. Then again, I've had rigs that I'd bump the bass full or a little under and back down the mids and uppers all the way and bring them up to taste from there. Just take some time to experiment. Jotting down settings that you like is helpful too. After a while, you might forget what one combination was that you liked. You can then go back and check your notes for a refresher. Have fun with it. And remember, just when you think you've found your tone, you'll stumble across another that you'll like better. The never ending search. :cool:
  9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Gemini is not know for making high power bass drivers IIRC. With miss matched drivers your cabinet will never sound as good as it could.
  10. jeffmaxwell

jeffmaxwell Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, Silver Hammer Designs
    That speaker is an EV Force series.
  11. Cirk

Cirk

So what would be the correct set of drivers to use in that cab, considering T/S parameters?
  12. mikerophone

mikerophone

Thanks for your help, everyone! Also...

this is relevant to my interests. I think the original speakers in Acoustic cabs were Eminence, but I was thinking about Weber neomags.
  13. nysbob

nysbob

True dat.

They're decent, but I prefer the regular EVs.
  14. uglyrumor

uglyrumor

I'm betting EV, also; pull the heat sink off, and I bet it will tell you there. Also, anytime in doubt, I have found it helpful to research "EIA Speaker Codes", and can usually get a manufacturer and date.
  15. uglyrumor

uglyrumor

By the way, if it is an EVM-15L, I'll buy it from you, if you are replacing your speakers. I tore the cone on mine.