HELP! Identify this '90s Samick bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by araT, Oct 7, 2010.

1. araT

araT

Hi everyone :) I'm new here - I'm mainly a guitarist/pianist, but as I work as a sound engineer & guitar tech I get my hands on a lot of basses too..

I picked up this Samick bass about 10 years ago to muck around on & keep handy. It's mid-90s I'd imagine. Korean. Serial # is 2 031242. (there's nothing of use in the neck pocket) I got it for ~$50 in a loanshark in TERRIBLE condition, covered in a thick layer of stickers & grime. With a bit of TLC & elbow grease I managed to get it back to this, which is good enough for me.. (Though I'm toying with the idea of slapping some bass Alumitones in it, I think they'd look & sound awesome)

The pics are a little old & it's had a good setup since, so ignore the retardo intonation, I must have forgot to set that before I eagerly snapped off pics when I'd finished cleaning it up.

I've asked at a few of the forums I regular, and we *think* it might POSSIBLY be a Artist series, model YB-430, but as we can't find one that looks identical (or any other way to confirm it) I was hoping some here could help..

I've sent emails direct to Samick a few times, but they never reply.. :meh:

Thanks for taking the time to have a look, and thanks in advance for any advice or info you can give me!

More pics here: http://s499.photobucket.com/albums/rr353/araTguitars/Samick Bass/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. danomite64

danomite64 Supporting Member

It's a YARPJ.

[​IMG]
  3. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

Danomite...whered you get that catalog page? is there an online resource for Alvarez catalog, or did you have it on your computer? Just curious, I have a couple of Alvarez's that Id like to check on....thanks!
  4. danomite64

I found it in the box I keep old catalogs in; in the back room, right side, 2nd box from the top.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. araT

araT

Wow, you're nothing short of AMAZING danomite64!! you rock!! Thank you so so much! :D:D

10 years of half-assed attempts at identifying it, and you manage to solve it in an hour :) I wish I'd come here sooner!!
  7. Thundar

LOL...Ok thanks
  8. danomite64

I have some Alvarez catalogs, too. Post some pics of your basses and I'll check for you.
  9. Thundar

I have had 2 of these basses...both 5'ers..this is not my actual bass but looks just like it...only a 5 string..I think they were called Villains, but not positive.
    Thanks for your help

Attached Files:

• alvy.jpg
      alvy.jpg
      File size:
      44.6 KB
      Views:
  10. danomite64

This is from the 1997 catalog:

[​IMG]
  11. Thundar

Nope not a Villain then
  12. danomite64

What? Sure it's a Villain! Look at the top of that page, where is says "Villain 5 & 6 string". Or are you saying your bass doesn't look like that?
  13. Thundar

LOL...Yes Im saying my bass isnt a Villain....sorry for the confuzz...I had that name stuck in my mind for years, and was just associating Villain with my bass, but its clearly not the same as the pics you posted. Thanks for your hard work though, I do appreciate it!
  14. Catfish1962

Catfish1962

Could you post a pick of the bass with the lighting bolts.

I bought the same one many years ago but never found any info on it...

thx:bassist:

Attached Files:

15. danomite64

It's a YAFGPJ.

Alder body, maple neck, ebonol fretboard, active electronics, 24 frets; came in black, white, and a black/white burst. I'll post a scan when my pc gets fixed.....
  16. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

I had one of those around 1993/94, but fretless. It was a decent bass for the money, too. I don't think it even cost me $500 new. But I only had that bass for perhaps 2 years at most because I upgraded to a fretless Musicman Stingray.
  17. danomite64

18. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

Is it me or do these Samicks look an awful lot like the Older Yamaha RBX basses?
  19. bdywzbrian

bdywzbrian

I bought a 1999 Samick 5'er on TB that looks like a MM.
  20. Catfish1962

Catfish1962

Thank You Danomite64
  21. The Todd

The Todd

Hi,

there wouldn't be a Marble coloured bass in that catalog would there? In the early 90s I had a YARB (I think) like the OP, but the colour was a blue-ish marble design like the inside of a mansion foyer... or a bad 80s bathroom. I've scoured the internet and I've never seen another like it.

Cheers!