1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Help identify this Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ktomanka, Feb 13, 2014.

1. ktomanka

ktomanka

Hello Bass world. I am a fairly knowledgeable bass player, I've owned dozens of basses and currently have a closet full, but I've been stumped by the most recent Jazz bass I picked up today. Can someone help?
    Here is what I know:
    I'm 100% positive that this is all original, I bought it from the original owner who purchased it in 2005, he claims it's a 76-reissue (maybe the pickups, but not the bass) but it had the plastic still on the pickguard and the case still had that SMELL. Ohh, the smell of a brand new Jazz Bass, you know.

Something is suspicious, because it doesn't look, feel, or sound like a Standard USA Jazz.

Pictures show:

• Z5021... Serial number shows MIA built in 2005
    • Dot Inlay's suggest not 70's RI(?)
    • Tuners are not reverse and no button on the back means it's not a 62 RI neck. Front badge and SN look standard 2005
    • Bridge is not typical J-Bass bridge
    • Neck pickup is not routed like a 62' vintage body
    • Blank neck plate like vintage RI
    • Transparent Red finish is matte, not glossy
    • Truss rod adjustment is at the head (not standard)
    • Nothing telling in the neck pocket

And holy crap does it sound AMAZING.
    I've got 4 Jazz basses right now, the Geddy and Marcus are even supposed to be 70's reissue but this SMOKES them hands down. The tone is HUGE and the neck feels thinner than my 90's Deluxe but not as thin as the Geddy.

Any Guesses?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Mr.Fingers

Mr.Fingers

3. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

^ All correct. They are worth a little less then a newer HWY One mostly due to the Badass II on the newer versions being worthy more secondhand and also the necks on the newer ones have a graphite rod and adjust at the heel not headstock. The newer HWY necks are essentially american standard necks with a 70s logo and cheaper tuners, these older ones are essentially a MIM deluxe neck with a USA decal.
  4. ktomanka

ktomanka

Great, I think this is all correct, but regardless of the technicalities, as you guys know, a MIM fender can sound like a dream and there are MIA's that aren't all that magical.
    This one, for what it is, sounds so good I might have to keep it.
    Thanks all!
  5. jamminology101

jamminology101 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    Strange they put the ultra vintage bridge on it with the 60s threaded saddles....straight out of 60s reissue and also not having the cnc route that goes from control panel to neck pickup. This is how all the 60s basses were made...perhaps the highway 1 was a tribute to the 60s??? Even the nitro!!! Cool bass
  6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... except this would NOT be nitro .. these had an ACRYLIC lacquer finish ... nitrocellulose lacquer was not used until the 'upgraded' Hwy ONE appeared mid year 2006 along with the BAII and the graphite support rod, heel adjust neck (as mentioned above) ... the acrylic lacquer does not wear the same as nitro, and tends to be more 'chippy' ...